How do we flea bomb without fumigating the fish!?

Kelsta

OK we have a problem. We've just moved into a new house a week ago, and we have fleas. :x

We don't really know how to treat for fleas as all the usual methods like flea bombs or getting a professional in to fumigate would kill the fish.

Has anyone had this problem before, and what did you do?

Thanks! :roll:

Cover you tanks? We bombed a rental after we moved in and i just got a drop sheet from the red shed- cost about 1.50, covered the tank and taped it tight. Failing that you can buy frontline spray and dose you carpets that way. Cost more than a bomb tho.

someone suggested on a similar thread to cover the tank well (but not perfectly...) and put an airpump in there. The air pump provides pressure so even if your cover leaks, it can only leak outward, not into the tank.

Of course the pump needs to be OUTSIDE the house with a really long bit of airline tubing into the tank.

You would leave the cover on until you are completely sure everything is settled an the house is well aired out. Technically you could leave it on for a couple of weeks no problem (fish can usually go a couple of weeks without food) so there would be no urgency in taking it off.

I would look at getting some kind of carpet powder or commercial cleaning, don't like the idea of all those chemicals in the air and falling down on everything... The fleas would only be in the carpet.

Yes, I thought actually after a few differetn bits of advice from different sources that carpet pray would be the way to go. You're right - that's where they are so why fumigate?

Also, that way I won't have to leave the tank sealed off for so long. My babies might survive without food, but they would get very grumpy indeed! :o

Oh Carpet, which art on floorboards,

Hallowed by Thy pile

Thy laying done

Thy vacuuming won, on stairs as it is on floors.

Bear us this our daily tread,

And forgive us these our aquarium spills, as we forgive those who spill against us.

Lead us not into lino,

But deliver us from fleas.

For the floors are Thy domain, the boards and the underlay,

For ever and ever.

Amen.

Yes, flea EGGS can live dormant in your carpet for months if they are undisturbed. Once you disturb them (by moving furniture around or walking over that area of carpet) they hatch and go looking for a host.

I'm not sure how long live fleas live without a host, but I'm guessing humans could be a host? We have blood, so I don't see why not?

I'll check out the pet stores and vets, but my mum said she got a great product from Farmlands for her carpet. Don't really want to drive to Otaki though...

You could be right - do it good and proper the first time.

But we've only been there a week and I don't think the fleas have spread to the beds, sofa etc yet. Well, I'm hoping anyway!

I would be happy to bomb, but hubby is a bit more paranoid about the fish and wants to try carpet spray first... :roll:

I've just talked to the vet and they're recommended Indoor X (not sure of spelling?) and they say it kills the eggs as well as the fleas, but not the pupae stage so you have to do it more than once if you have a real problem. $20 a bottle and one bottle does 40 sqaure metres.

Will pick some up on the way home and try it tonight! Perhaps I'll pray to the carpet too just for good measure! :wink:

I have used the powder which you can get from the supermarket - one of the other posters was right in saying it smelt nice...I am unsure how effective it was because I moved out of the house.

In this new place I have had to bomb, used 2 cans which did a smallish 3 bedroom house. Was very effective.

I just gladwrapped the tanks, and then threw over some blankets. Aired the house out for about an hour before I came back into the house, then just waited overn ight for the tanks.

Good luck