GP prices!

nick777

Hi guys, I just moved from Rotorua to Auckland Central and am wanting to change my GP to one that's close to my apartment, I visited a couple of places yesterday and found that they charge a lot more than what I was charged in Rotorua.

It costs $23 to see my doctor in Rotorua and some others are even cheaper and most prescription meds are $3, the GPs I visited on Queen St charge $50 per visit if I transfer my enrolment here which would take 3 - 6 months and until then they have to charge me $70...is it normal?

I did a search on MOH's website and the national average is $25.

Any ideas?

There is a cheap one on K road my wife used to go there when she lived in central Auck's they're certainly not cheap (or easy to get into) up there!

We also hated the fact that you were treated like sheep up there the doctors had no idea who you were, but in smaller type practices the doctors know you by name and will actually go out of their way to help you out.. LOL Actually hated that about most places in Auckland..

It all rotates around the funding formula for your area. Most GPs (not all) will reduce your charges to that of a Funded patient if you Enrol with them, even though they won't actually get funding until the beginning of the next quarter. If the one you have chosen won't do that, you can either enrol and wait until you are actually funded at that clinic (probably 1 April), or else shop around (especially good if you are prepared to go to a doctor in a relatively poor area - they get funded more generously)

Funding is affected by the socio-economics of the area. The more maori and Pacific Islanders you have the lower the fees as there are more subsidies involved for these groups. :-?

If you want really cheap GP fees then go live on the West Coast of the South Island. Of course, you may have a really long wait to find a Dr to see you but the fees are low.

Enrolments are updated every quarter and they have just done the latest one. It is normal when you are newly enrolled to be charged a higher fee. We try to advise people to enrol somewhere before they need a doctor.

$55 for my GP - he's out in Pakuranga (or it was, now I'm over 45 its gone down to $28 - score!!!!!)

If you are a student you can register with the uni.

Phone around and see what the prices are. Central city will probably be higher than some in the suburbs or under different health boards.

Once you register with one health board you need to stay with them so be warned go to one doctor and stay with them.

We are still enrolled with that GP in Rotorua and to get that transferred, we were told it would take 3-6 months...lol..and we don't qualify for the community service card as our combined income is higher than the threshold of appox. $34k, but living in the city apartment it costs like $350/week+power and etc...if it's charged and subsidised by area, why not allocate a different threshold by area too?... :( ....

I reckon its rubbish about transferring time and charges.

On the odd occasion I have had to go to the dr across the road from my work which is a different health board he has claimed me as his patient to get the subsidy. When I have gone back to my own GP I have just filled in the forms again to show I am his patient and been charged the subsidised amount. I would ring around if I was you.

I visited a couple of places yesterday and found that they charge a lot more than what I was charged in Rotorua.

It costs $23 to see my doctor in Rotorua

I don't think you have been in Auckland long LOL!

There will probably be more surprises in store for you, wait till you go to the dentist! :o

We are staying here permanently, yes, you are right, ryanjury, we were treated like as if we owe them money!! :oops:

Found a cheap place yesterday on K'Rd called Kiwihealth(?), they charge $40 for first visits and it costs $15 afterwards..lol...but the doctor was no good, she took 10 mins to tell me that she didn't know what's wrong..lol...but my ear hurts like hell...so she told me to take some panodol..seems to be the pill for everything...lol....

oh, and I was charged full price for the Prescription...ummmm... :roll: