Poor Condition of Goldfish at the LFS's

Kelsta

Has anyone else noticed the poor condition of the Goldfish in all the Wellington stores lately? They all seem to have bad breeding (wierd shapes, deformities, etc) and HEAPS of disease!

I mean, the stores ALL have issues with white spot, fin rot, swim bladder problems (floating & swimming sideways), Eye diseases (white bubbles and cloudy eyes) parasites, flukes (or something like that because many of the fishes gills are literally GONE - all open and red and swollen). And many have gammy mouths - you know, either stuck open, or wierd shape like they've had a stroke and can't close one half, and the list goes on and on!

What on earth is wrong with all the pet stores...?? Are the suppliers shipping defective fish?!

I have a full tank, but I like to look when I'm in there and can't believe my eyes lately. it's like a horror movie... :o

Ooooh... too true. It is rather like a family. I don't know where I'd be without everyone here! :D

Yeah, I'm not planning to upgrade my tank or add new fish right now, but maybe one day...

I just couldn't get over what I was seeing at the stores and wondered if anyone else had noticed. It's all gone to the dogs aye. Well, nice to meet you - I don't think I've talked to you before.

Ciao :)

I have dead fish left in tanks.Deformed, over stocked tanks.But people keep buying from them.And every body has a choice.And as long as people buy from them,it will keep happening.Theresa

Agree, but slightly dis-agree, as we all have noticed that the "under educated" (about fish) go in to pet shops with there credit cards out, now the sales person, see's a quick sale, and there goes, a tank, a heater, a filter, some neons, a pleco, a cichlid etc.

The person thinks that when they go home, they set the tank up straight away, and watch there ever lasting fish, without knowing the big fish they brought ate the little fish and so on..

So yes it does pay to learn before hand.

The second thing, is they hire young student's

(no offence to the people who share the passion and work there) :bow:

{this is my experience} :evil:

who don't care, or care to learn about fish, only there booze money, and will sell you fish, having no clue what they are.

So its not always the buyers fault, right?

Yes, I can imagine how well that goes down... like a lead balloon, I should think. Staff at LFS's never appreciate being given advice on how to care for fish. But they're the ones who seem to need it the most!

I wholeheartedly agree that it's not always the buyers fault because a lot of people are un-educated about how to care for fish, and presume that it's normal for fish to die after a few months, or that they're just being cute when they flash, and don't know what to look for in a healthy fish.

Over the weekend I saw someone buyimng a fish with a terrible case of white spot, AND a little bit of fin rot, but the staff member sold it anyway! The whole tank was infected, but the spots were really obvious on that fish so you know that person is going to wonder why thier fish got sick and died aye? It's up the the store to stock and sell healthy fish, and quarantine and treat those that aren't - not just sell them to unsuspecting first-timers! Or slow learners who keep coming back for more fish every month...

Oh duh... I get it now.

I should really just concentrate on work instead of posting all day... I'm losing my sense of humour in all the confusion - next I'll be emailing my customers about how to care for goldfish... :oops:

I am very tempted to work at my LFS, put all tanks into Qurantine and then start fresh.

I know Hutt Pets, aren't to worried about there tank's at the moment, due to brand spankers arriving shortly.

I also believe, LFS do not wan't to Qurantine tanks as this looks bad in the "average public" eyes.

Oh duh... I get it now.

I should really just concentrate on work instead of posting all day... I'm losing my sense of humour in all the confusion - next I'll be emailing my customers about how to care for goldfish... :oops:

Don't worry, I often wander on here and forget all about work.

Yes! That's exactly what I felt like doing! Just taking over and starting afresh. Well, I can't do that, but I wish someone would!

The only store I never have any complaints about is Animalz in Petone, but they don't have many goldfish as they concentrate more on marines and tropicals.

With regards to quarantining in stores, Animalz in Petone have got the right idea - they quarantine out the back where customers can't see them.

Are Hutt Pet Centre getting all new tanks? I wondered if they have new owners because it's all changed quite a bit lately?

In fairness to one of those LFS (a franchise one in wgtn) they do have Q tanks (tank is covered up and fish not for sale) and they do have a couple of staff members who take an interest in helping people get set up correctly.

However those two are both into fish themselves so your point about the majority of employees lacking knowledge of fish etc is totally valid!

These shops even have a startup handout for customers (about cycling etc) yet they don't seem to inform their own staff!

I think you've got to be careful abotut 'educating' employees, especially in front of their workmates or even worse the customer!!

Yes Kelsta, the owners, Jane and Brian took over some-time last year I think, they are hoping to slowly improve Hutt Pets, and it will be timely process, as improvements will not be cheap.

Still, no excuse for bad fish, can not ALWAYS be importers at fault.

They are also including Marine sections to.

Think its a bit of trying to "out-do" AnimalZ now.

Yeah, absolutely - I do also congratulate anyone who does help out at the LFS because it takes time out of your life and you're doing a great thing. I can't imagine having the time, but kudos for those who do.

Paekakboyz, I know the franschise in Wgtn you're referring to, and yes its great that they do quarantine their tanks, but there are also tanks rampant with disease that are not quarantined - it's like they've selectively decided to treat some tanks and not others. Do they just not notice it or what?

Oh well, I've had the most unproductive day!! I've really gotta get back to work :lol:

For those not understanding Ira's remark - he doesn't like the "fancy" goldfish varieties. Many of these were developed from "deformed" fish and made into a type of their own, enhancing the "deformity" eg goggle eyes, lack of some fins etc and many have inherent health problems (similar to those in many breeds of cats and dogs these days) :lol:

Those of you witnessing people buying diseased fish - have you ever quietly gone up to the person involved and politely said "Excuse me but did you realise that fish is ill?" By standing by and saying nothing you are perpetuating the problem.

I have done that once, but the person bought the fish anyway. All the other times there was a staff member nearby and I so far haven't been brave enough to say those things in front of staff. But you know what? From now on, I will. Those staff are either willingly selling disease fish, or if they are unaware, then they need to be made aware.