Breeding Mandarins, maybe...

tHEcONCH

So, if I ignore common sense and actually have a crack at this, are any local reef-keepers willing to let me collect pods etc from their sumps for the next few months? I guess this would involve sticking coarse sponges into your sump and collecting them every so often.

Mr Pedersen and Witt are also keen to see if Mandarins can be hatched and raised using pods etc sieved from temperate (cf tropical) seas, so another option might be collecting seawater and filtering greeblies out.

Is anyone keen on getting involved with this project?

I dont have a sump but I do have the filterbox in my tank, and I often find dead pods in my skimmer, which skims out from the filterbox.

If u wanna try a sponge in there ur more than welcome to. I've just chucked a few clumps of liverock in there so it should end up as a pod breeding ground.

Theres always tons of little shrimp type things running around on my substrate during the night. If you can think of a method of catching em I'll give that a try aswel? (Would the coke bottle trick with food work, or would I just catch myself a brittlestar?)

wish i could help out conch but i think my mandarin and sixline are pretty much decimating my pod population at the mo.. have you had any luck with raising pods in your external aquarium? if its been successful then perhaps i could try doing it too with a spare tank and help out that way

wish i could help out conch but i think my mandarin and sixline are pretty much decimating my pod population at the mo.. have you had any luck with raising pods in your external aquarium? if its been successful then perhaps i could try doing it too with a spare tank and help out that way

Yep, they grow quite well in there - but judging from what I've found out, I'll need a ton of them. I can't really harvest enough from my tanks - Witt was actually getting all of his by filtering NSW

Guest Anonymous

Collecting wild copepods (same as Witt) would be the best approach IMO. I have a link at home to purchase some Sieves for doing just that. I will post it when I get home. I will prob order myself some soon as I have now acquired my B&W clowns for breeding :D

im keen to help where i can

no sump tho and my sixline eats most of mine

i could help with the sea water thing

Yea, that might be the way to go I think. I'll have to find out more about how to do that, but it would be great if we could contribute to the understanding of what they require. Quite apart from breeding, it would be good to know more about how people can feed adults in otherwise unsuitable tanks.

Guest Anonymous

mpederson keeps his in basically pod-less tanks. I think he may culture pods occasionally, but he feeds his mandarins large amounts of food multiple times a day to keep them alive and healthy. His breed so he is doing ok. I think its 4 feedings/day.

Why do you need pods? Pods are hard to raise and a alternative would be roitifers and brine shrimp when they get bigger.

Some micro alage species are also available since the Auckland university got it approved some time ago. However found it unnecessary if breeding clown fish and banggai cardinals.

Guest Anonymous
how fine should the netting be (how big are the holes)

200micron is fine. Just use stockings.

Why do you need pods? Pods are hard to raise and a alternative would be roitifers and brine shrimp when they get bigger.

Rotifers have no nutritional value at all, brine shrimp have none when they are larger. So you have to gutload both of these. Copepods are fairly easy to breed and catch and are highly nutritious. Mandarin fry have been unsuccessfully raised on either of these methods and new methods are suggesting copepod nauplii is going to be the best bet for this.

If we could get SS rotifers over here they might be a go, but Copepod nauplii seems to be our best bet. It can also be used in other breeding as Witt has proven.

Rotifers have no nutritional value at all, brine shrimp have none when they are larger

That does not really matter as gutloading these is what breeders have been doing for a long time. we have many foods available to gut load them.

In fact i have never gut loaded them for baby banggais as i keep the brine shrimp for only a few days.

I found that if you have a tank with no fish you will end up with millions of copods.

I am finding that since using Miracle mud my sump i have thousands of copods

Feeding coral food like reef booster and reef roids helps as they like the very small foods floating in the water.

Guest Anonymous

Very true. Although keeping rotifers can be a PITA at times. Having to feed them every couple of days when he water clears, when Copepods will happily feed themselves for weeks.

If you feed your baby bangaiis just BBS then you should be aware:

Offspring fed solely newly hatched brine shrimp are prone to Sudden Fright Syndrome, so enriching HUFAs is key in the rearing process. Vitamin Enrichment is also beneficial.

So Gutloading them is going to be very beneficial to your fry.

Anyways back on topic. Mandarin fry are too small and their mouths are not big enough to eat rotifers. This has been a unique challenge as Rotifers have been a staple first food for many fish (esp Clownfish). Since there has been only a couple of people in the world who have raised a mandarin the methods are not known on how to do this successfully and repeatably. Copepod Nauplii has become a recent hot-topic as it is smaller than Rotifers and is something that is likely to be a natural food source for these fish in the wild.

I am keenly watching the progress of Witt (author of the illustrated guide to marine fish breeding) on his first attempt (and so far highly successful) at raising mandarin fry. After consulting briefly with him I am going to be building a zooplankton net to see what species/family's of pods I can catch in NZL. He believes local zooplankton (pods) should be ideal for raising marine fry so I am keen to give it ago. That withstanding, I am not going to stop culturing rotifers, as they are also highly beneficial and easy to use.

Hope this info is useful for some people. To make a Zooplankton net just google "zooplankton net" and you can goto a local wharf/dock and drop it off the side to the bottom and pull it up.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Yea, you can find Matthew L. Wittenrich's log on www.marinebreeder.org I have been following it since he started.

A bummer he used unidentified wild zooplankton instead of rotifers. In the article he says he added Rotifers, but his log says the wild plankton was what they ate.