Is this Neon Tetra Disease ?

breakaway

ok i always ask this but what is your ph?

neons change colour if they are not happy , with the ph or temp.

REMOVE THE SICK LOOKING FISH ASAP!

how long have you had them?

its hard to see in the pic but it does look like neon tetra disease.

Hi Breakaway,

neon tetra disease isn't as common as TB in NZ. i've had a few batches of neons with similar appearing lesions as yours. It's always around the caudal peuncular region.

Fish TB can give skin lesions in fish, usually appearing as chronic nonhealing ulcers that do not respond to most topical/systemic meds. In neon tetras, they get cloudy WHITE ELEVATED/RAISED lesions around the tail base region, the surrounding red skin often gets depigmented too( turns white).

Think fish TB. think isolation as the others have suggested. look out for other signs of TB in the tank--losses every now n then, occasional thin, crook looking ones with scoliosis( kinked spines). occasional dropsy/popeye ones.....

TB is easily diagnosed most of the time. need a fresh specimen---do a necropsy/postmortem--u can usually find tiny white nodules in the abdominal organs.confirmation by cytology/special stains.

We can also do a muscle biopsy if u want to rule in/out pleostophora( neon tetra disease) but it isn't as common in my experience.

Hi ther...

Thanx 4 the information

But the most bizzare thing has happened... :o The NEON JUST DISSAPPEARED :o

After I got home I turend the tank upside down loking for it... its just not there. I recently added 4 x Blue Dwarf Gouramis.... I dont know waht happened eh everything was fine... the neon just dissappeared. Did the dwarf eat it ?

If you turned the tank upsidedown I suggest you look under the furniture :lol:

It probably died and was eaten.

Yeah, I found one of the :o dwarfs consuming :o the dead fish.... I removed it with a spoon.... My 1st fish death since my new tank :cry:

YES

Breakaway,

how many "helpers"

said to remove the fish from the tank.

To either kill it, or, at least to quarantine it.

Sometimes I wonder why we try to give advice. I really do.

That fish you saw eating the neon, will prolly contract what was wrong with the sick one, and believe me, or don't, that wont have been the only fish that was munching out on the diseased fish.

We DO tell you these things for a reason.

We've been there, done that.

And stiff bikkies if you don't like what I am writing addressed to you.

I'm sure some of the others will be thinking the same thing too.

Disappointed.

Alan

Yes, My bad. If the other fish die, thats too bad.

Thats why tis called advice alan, it does not HAVE to be followed.

If you are pissed coz im not listening to waht you say and not doing waht you say, please feel free to NOT give me advice in the future next time I have a problem

And Ill do wahtever the hell I want with my tank, If I want, Ill pour some pH 1 acid in it and theres nothing you can do bout it.

Remember, tahts why its called advice.

I am sorry to see such a reaction to a reply. Our concern is for the inhabitants. Just because it is a fish does not mean it doesn't deserve the best conditions you can give.

If the other fish die that's too bad?? What sort of attitude is that towards a living creature dependent on you for its quality of life?

Although Alan was a bit harsh he made good points. If the infection now spreads to the other fish - and you - and you get sick and die I guess that's too bad too.

Oh o, Alans getting e-bashed ;)!

In other news - that was a VERY bad reply breakaway. If you don't care about your fish - why did you get them? It's really disappointing seeing someone ask for advice, the whole community (almost) tells them to get rid of the fish, you leave it there, another one eats it and it could spread.

With an attitude like that, no one will give you advice because what's the point if it goes in one ear and out the other?

Chris-

I recently added 4 x Blue Dwarf Gouramis....

was i the only one that noticed this, just a queston why do you keep adding more fish? obviously any advice givin to you is clearly ignored can you blame ppl, when they get frustrated and write naughty things! :roll: