Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PH

Featured Replies

Hi am wondering what I can do or just leave it?

When I set up my tank the PH is 7.6 I tested our local water and that is 7.6

My fish seem happy enough and have no loses.

I brought a piece of drift wood ( I thought it would make a wonderful addition to my tank!) and put it into water to get all the *brown* stuff out of it. It is in just enough water to cover it. Anyhow out of curiosity I tested the water and it came down to 6.0 (which is acid)

I am not sure if to use it now. But would it make a lot of difference when I put it into the tank would it take that water to 6 as well?

Sorry am very new to this and don't really like putting chemicals into my tank if I can help it

It will change your water but shouldn't change it from 7.6 to 6, if your fish are happy at 7.6 don't stress..

I say add the driftwood and keep an eye on things its not the type of thing that happens instantly with driftwood its quite natural so you should be fine :)

yes it will bring the PH down but unless you are breeding specific fish or have african cichlids 6 is fine. Boiling works much faster than soaking to stop it leaching tannis (making the water brown)

If you want to keep it at 7.6 you could possibley get some PH raising rocks to counteract the wood. Run viniger over the rocks, if they bubble they will raise your PH.

Hopes this Helps

  • Author

Yes I was wondering esp since it is in a little bit of water now..and when I put it into the tank it will be a bigger body of water so would the change be as marked? I have only been soaking it since yesterday. I am in day 9 of cycling my tank. haven't lost any fish yet.

Sorry I am sure my first post didn't really make that much sense.

Will definately do less in more water :) Don't worry people add driftwood to their tanks all the time and don't loose any fish.. Bottom line is if they're happy don't stress don't worry unless ph is at either extreme or not stable.

I have a large piece of driftwood in my tank and I keep African cichlids. I keep my ph at a stable 7.8 by using some aragonite sand (mine is mixed within the black substrate but you can also just keep a little bit in a stocking inside the aquarium or if possible, inside your filter) and a couple of pieces of dead coral. Both substances act as a buffer so not only do the keep the ph at the high end, they also keep it stable. You could also use oyster shell which you can buy from the pet shop in a stocking...

Out of interest, what fish have you got / are you going to keep in the tank once it is fully cycled?

  • Author

I have got a shark, silver Dollar ( I think that is what it is), 1 platy, 3 guppies, cat fish, neon tetra (4) , another sort of tetra, swordtail,

I think that is all that is in there at the moment while it is cycling

tannin in the water is what did it.

nothing wrong with it, unless you see fish being lethargic.

low PH makes amonia less toxic,

most fish f not all apart from a handfull of species from africa actually prefer acidic waters.

silver dollars im sure wont mind it.

change the water to rid of the brown

but i think you should be ok wiht the fish having lower ph

unless you have a very big tank the shark must go. What type of shark is it?

You will find the sliver dollar will get all your plants too.

but the rest are fine supposing the catfish is a cory.

  • Author
unless you have a very big tank the shark must go. What type of shark is it?

You will find the sliver dollar will get all your plants too.

but the rest are fine supposing the catfish is a cory.

It is a tiny one. (Silver with black tips on fins) I was told it would be okay in my tank. They were in the same tank in the shop. Why does it need to go? He hasn't been harrasing any one in the tank.

The tank is 109 ltrs

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.