Talk at school..

sharn

Hey all, i have to do a presentation to a local school about the general running of tanks etc (they are setting one up and need to know a few bits).

Will be going over setups and what fish they can have etc. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for things that can make it more interesting/ fun for the kids. Will be suggesting the usual community mix with glass cats, BN, siamese fighter, platys/swords etc (bright or interesting fish) but if anyone can think of anything else kids might like that would be neat. Was thinking a simple african community might be nice for them if the tank is big enough.

A single male with a couple of girls is fine, of late I've had a single male and female in a tank with a few plants and no problems at all. They do make nice community fish but guppies/angels and barbs do tend to nip at the males tails.

Irrespective of age, cover the basics. Explain the requirement to cycle the tank before the fish go in and the tests required.

Talk about pH and temperature.

And if possible leave some books/information with them

Maybe talk about fish from different areas - Africa, asia and south america

The teacher should be able to use that kind of stuff in the units for the year and kids are like sponges so will suck up heaps (and hopefully get into the hobby too)

Stock wise, I'd say keep it simple, platys, neons, a bristlenose. The more bulletproof the better.

I think a pair of swordtails would be good - really easy livebearer to keep and usually hardier then platues and guppies. Kuhli loaches would be good for the kids to watch also and unusual? Plus a GBA or two would be interesting and pretty to look at. Wish I had a fish tank in my classroom when I was a kid - Lucky!

Mel :)

Great ideas thanks guys! The hard part is putting the cycling deal into words that are easy for the kids to grasp so ill have to find a nice diagram of the cycle thats easy to understand (anyone know any good ones?)

Will probably end up going with a simple basic community with most, if not all of the fish suggested above but still show them pix of different biotope setups.