cleaning perspex tank

kd123

Soap and water is always a good start. Do not use scourer pads or any abrasives. You often don't see the damage until the perspex drys out.

However, to contradict myself, you can use some very fine abrasives on perspex to remove fine scratches. Brasso with a rag is good for this. Just ensure the surface is very well washed afterwards, Brasso is not exactly healthy!

I don't know if this works on perspex, but on my glass I use Chux all purpose scrub sponge. It is the angled BLUE pad. It is 100% non abrasive on glass. Not one single scratch. They are about $2 from pak n save. I rinse it well first, but it does not have any cleaner added to it.

I did a test on a pane of glass in the beginning. I scrubbed for 10 minutes and it did not scratch at all. It works like a charm on white marks, and green spot algae.

I use a 3M "non-scratch" scourer on those hard to remove algae spots. Its scourer surface is green and like rough rubber.

I've been using these for about 2 years and have started to notice some fine scratches. This may just be unseen grit getting trapped in the sponge, but I am careful and maybe it just indicates there's no avoiding scratches if you use scourers.