I kid you not!!!

Adrienne

Opinions please -

I have had a male and female in a tank for a couple of weeks now.

In the last few days the male has blown a huge bubble nest - about 12 inches by 6 inches. Today the female blew a little bubble nest on the opposite side of the tank, its only tiny, about 2cmx 1.5cm (the nest that is).

Tonight while I was at tennis they spawned, or I assume they spawned.

There are about 20 eggs. They are in her nest and she is looking after them.

His nest has no eggs in it. He is not interested in her nor her nest and eggs.

I guess I will leave them to it.

Will be interesting to see if they hatch or if they are eaten.

Fighters

I've just come from out in the fish room this morning - she is still tending the nest and he was still on the other side.

He went flying over to her and she shooed him away so I've contained him along with the other surplus fish in the tank.

All the eggs are there, she's moving them and looks to be cleaning them as well.

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it.

adodge wrote:

All the eggs are there, she's moving them and looks to be cleaning them as well

I don't know much at all about bettas, but adodge, isn't what she's doing usually what the male betta does, or am I thinking of another fish?

Caper

Gabe - Spanish?

Thought what the heck, spam-bot?

ay... French isn't it??

I typed it (alright copy and paste) into an online translator...

Do not look at me? I had no hand in her either; although I maintain relations with bio genetics to search. (just bantering)

http://translation2.paralink.com/

and I put it as "French to English"

Some crazy crazy spanish then :lol:

Tonight she's still looking after them, picking them up and putting them back in the nest. The nest has grown, twice as many bubbles as before.

She has to be blowing them, theres no one else there to do it!

I don't know that they are fertile though, used my magnifying glass and can't see eyes or anything yet.

Time will tell.

If they hatch I will be interested to see what happens - whether she will tend to them or eat them.

If they don't I'll set her up to breed properly, as this wasn't a planned pairing, and see if the roles go back to the norm.

At least I know she's a female as I was doubtful.

Hi adodge,

I had a simillar thing happen, I had a divided tank, male on one side, female on other. I let them breed on the males side of tank then popped female back onto her side once they had finished. There were alot of eggs and the male let some fall onto the floor where they then blew under the didvider. The female blew a tiny little nest and proceeded to pick the eggs up and put them in her nest (the male was tending his nest on the other side too), they eventually hatched and she managed to keep them alive for a day or two but her bubbles kept popping and eventually her small batch all died (around 12 fry I think). It was really sad to watch though because she kept picking up the dead fry and blowing them into the nest.

The problem was that she didn't have the 'special ingredient' in her saliva that makes the bubbles robust enough for a nest like a male fighter does (at least thats what I figured).

Interestingly enough when the pair was spawning she would help the male pick up the eggs and I thought she was eating them but she was actually putting them in his nest. She was a real oddball but fascinating to watch!

Hope your female can raise some fry it would be really interesting to see if the female offspring had the same behaviuoral traits?

Mel :)