National Aquarium

I have never been to Napier before and seeing as we are probably moving to the South Island I thought I should make the effort. So we went for a day trip. Would have liked to stay longer, but am too busy with other things.

The main thing I wanted to visit was the National Aquarium. I thought that the cover charge was worth it. I absolutely loved the Oceanarium, the rock pools with snapper etc., and the seahorse tanks.

It was great to see an exhibit of active Kiwi! As opposed to the ones in the dark where you can't be sure if it is a bird or some foliage ;) I was glad to see a grown Tuatara, active under lights. It walked across the rocks, swam through the pool and came over to see who we were, starring at it :) Who knew Tuatara swam? lol

I was impressed with how clean all the exhibits were. Not full of crap, or sick fish. Or whats more, empty.

Seeing a giant squid up close and personal was cool. Very fascinating.

I was slightly disappointed that there was no a large native fresh water tank. With so much dialogue on fresh water species I had thought they would have gone all out. Other than the tank in the Kiwi area, I thought the little tank opposite the Eels didn't do the Kokopu justice.

IMHO I thought the koi, goldfish, and small tetra tank was wasted space. I appreciate they are probably catering for kids, seeing they are at eye level, but even so they are too common. Native tanks perhaps??

I was left wondering WTH with one Clown Loach in with the Pacu, and 3 individuals in the next tank in with the barbs. Then there was the plaque stating they only get to 15cm? Hmmm....

All in all totally worth the time and effort though :)

It's awesome isn't it? Well worth the $14 to get in !!

I spent about an hour in the tunnel thing (much to my wife's displeasure) and have hundreds of awful photos of blurred underexposed things that are probably fish, an hour well spent I feel! The two foot long Crayfish have to be seen to be believed!

I was like a small child almost skipping around from tank to tank "Look at theeeeeese ..and this.... and this.... andthisandthisandthis....". I promised Kelly (my wife) I wouldn't drink coffee before my next visit.

Here is the website http://www.nationalaquarium.co.nz/

We just made the trip down in November to see the National aquarium. We thought it was awesome too! Loved the albino eel and the huge massive eels in the tank opposite the lizards. Thought the sea turtle and sea horses were cool too. We were really impressed with the tuatara and the kiwis, I've never seen them as closely or clearly as at that aquarium. Would really reccomend it to childeren and adults. I thought it was quite cheap also for the standard of the experience.

Mel :)

I took the missus there on Valantines Day.Even better, She paid.

We went on the behind the scenes tour, was pretty cool. Cost $25.00 instead of $14

Got to see all the filtration setups and breeding and rearing tanks out the back, some stuff like giant crabs and toads that arnt on display on general admission.

Could have spent the whole arvo there but thought id better take her shopping!

Loved the albino eel and the huge massive eels in the tank opposite the lizards. Thought the sea turtle and sea horses were cool too. .

Mel :)

From memory, that eel is not albino as its eyes are black.

The guy who took us on the B.T.S tour said it was caught by a local commercial eeler.

Please note i say"from memory" my memory has been known to fail me

I took the missus there on Valantines Day.Even better, She paid.

watchout ladies, big spender here, mothers tie up your daughters :P:P:P

ontopic again, might haveto make a roadtrip outta it.... funny how i always think of roadtrip destinations but never get to go on one...

:oops:

It is a shame that there is barely any representation of (freshwater) native fish at the NATIONAL AQUARIUM OF NEW ZEALAND. The name is so wrong.

What few natives they do show are certainly not shown off to their best. I always maintain that if they did some impressive displays people would think they are cool. Like with anything, do a poor display and people aren't interested. People are always going to rave about the big displays, show something poorly and they won't rave, money goes back in to the displays that draw the people... go figure. (They do actually know their stuff on natives, they were keen to take me giant bully hunting when I next came to Napier.)

Did you say there were two native fish tanks, not counting the eel one? When I was there last (hmmm, late last summer?) There was the one just before the kiwi enclosure and that was all. There were inanga, two 5-6" banded kokopu and a gold eel who had eaten their (few) bullies and sole torrentfish (who should have been in a bright fast flowing tank). I would be interested to know what changes there have been.

I would soooo love to set up an actual native aquarium.

They have a tank opposite the Eels with a few of these fellows in it...

giantkokopu.jpg

The poor quality photo is due to the fact that they would not keep still for one second, so I had to use the video on my camera then cut a frame out of it to post this pic!

Stella lives in Palmerston North - so day trip = 2 hours each way!

In saying that, we've done a day trip to Auckland to drop a dog off, what a tiring experience that was, it's bad enough just driving for five hours one way let alone turning around and coming back again!!

Yeah it was a long way. I don't mind driving though. The road was good, no traffic, or PTBs :)

Did it in just under 5 1/2 hours each way.

I have to recommend the bed and breakfast place just before the Esk Valley lavender farm for brunch/lunch. We stopped in on the way home for a break. It is the place with a barn with south african flags at the door. They sell animal sculptures and art things.

Can't remember the name. It was spotlessly clean, great food, and very friendly staff. You can sit next to the pond, or outside under the trees. It has a bar too.

watchout ladies, big spender here, mothers tie up your daughters :P:P:P

ontopic again, might haveto make a roadtrip outta it.... funny how i always think of roadtrip destinations but never get to go on one...

:oops:

im keen on a over night trip m8

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing it in a day trip, tis a nice ride up there. Also less arsing around with accommodation.

I would also be up for an overnight trip if others were.

Go on, someone pick a date! Not too far away, motorcycles aren't as fun in winter...

The HBAS are looking at having a tank crawl maybe later this month or early April, you could time your visit around then if you want - we should be having a committee meeting soon, so I can let you know when.