ponds

becc4

Thanks Caryl.

So I don't need any type of mechanical water movement thingy either? I am using a bath for the deeper part of the pond. I hope to plumb up the bath so I can make water changes when required, will extend the pond further with marginal plants etc...

Feeling like a pleb :oops:

i have got my tadpoles and frogs in a pond outside its doesn't have a pump or anything/ every day on hot days and every second on other days i turn the sprinkler on to add water and to mix it up a bit

i have also been know to float a ice pack or two on days it hit 38degrees. as i live in central otago...

i have water lillies and pond weed in there and somehow i have snails ????? where did they come from i have no idea. and lots of bugs in there as well they just arrived too.

frogs will hibernate during winter,

pond may need shade to stop it going green through summer months

water movement may stop it stagnating or mosqito's using it as a breeding ground

i am trying leopard fish and white clouds in a pond with tadpoles at the moment to see if they can cohabit, also to eat any mosquito larvae and give some life in the pond while tadpoles have morphed

maybe someone else has tried this before and can comment from experience

thanks everyone!

Luckily I like the colour green, so if the pond is green it is all ok. I was worried about mozzies because we have quite a few around here anyway (without a water mass in my yard), so don't want to aggrivate the situation.

I guess I have a busy weekend ahead of me! :)

WELLLLLLL....I'll be making the pond so inviting they wont wanna leave. I'm going to convert one of my bigger tanks into something for a couple of them, so if the rest of the m in the pond take off into the great unkonwn, then I will have some as backup. :)

ummm you can't make the frogs stay there so thats a bummer.... i cover half my pond because of the sun and heat in central....

yesterday i saw some of my little frogs jumping their way across the grass away from the pond......

my frogs are tiny i think they are tree frogs less than 10cent peice.... and brown in colour.

i think the tadpoles that i have in the pond are green frogs as they are already bigger than the little frogs and ony just starting to get legs...

anyway half the frogs have disappeared.... or the neighbours cat has got them :o

Just back to the pump thing for a sec.... We have a large pond at home 790m2 and in one part we had a big problem with still water and algae bllom, we put a waterfall in and that seems to have cleared up the problem of the algae. Just a little flow will do wounders.