May 17, 200422 yr comment_17985 Hey Everbody. as i said in the welcome forum, i got the job and therefore i am getting an aquarium. I found a tank which i am testing for leaks. Its Dimensions are: Width = 76cm Depth = 30cm Height = 39cm Volume = 90L or 20Gallons(UK) or 23Gallons(US) or 18,260 Teaspoons I would like to know who are the best Brands and Models of things like heaters, Filters, Lighting etc. It will be a planted tank and to begin with i will get a catfish or two, then add some more slowly as the tank finishes cycling. Any Help welcome. Thanx Joel Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_17993 for your size tank, i would use a HOB filter...penguin bio wheel, acua clear ect. jagar heaters are pretty much top of the line....but rather expensive. I use via aqua heaters. I recomend getting a fully submergable heater try get a twin tube fluro light hood. it should give enough light to keep most plants and a school of corys would look cool...just don't try to start yopur tank with panda corys Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18010 Hey Everbody. as i said in the welcome forum, i got the job and therefore i am getting an aquarium. I found a tank which i am testing for leaks. Its Dimensions are: Width = 76cm Depth = 30cm Height = 39cm Volume = 90L or 20Gallons(UK) or 23Gallons(US) or 18,260 Teaspoons I would like to know who are the best Brands and Models of things like heaters, Filters, Lighting etc. It will be a planted tank and to begin with i will get a catfish or two, then add some more slowly as the tank finishes cycling. Any Help welcome. Thanx Joel Welcome to fish keeping, Joel Here's Some prices 150w Aqua One Heater ($ 34.95) Shark 2 filter (About $60 I think) Light Hoods - Really expensive in pet shops, Best to look around for 2nd hand ones. Report
May 18, 200422 yr Author comment_18016 Well the tank's Still here this morning so it hasn't exploded or leaked. Thanx For the feedback, mostplaces suggested a 100W Heater for 50 -100L Tanks and i figured i'd get a 150W To be on the safe side. was jus worried iit might be a bit much. I have a hood, its plastic and has a set of clips in which i will remove and replace with a double. If the price bets too high, for the seperate parts, i am going to get a new tank which comes with everything for £115. then i'll upgrade as i get money. then i can use the old equptment in this old tank and have 2 Tanks (OH-NO....MTS....Kicking...in....Can't....Resist) Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18020 usually best to get a slightly over-rated heater for your tanks size - they typically last longer coz its not continually cycling on/off. errr.... 115 pounds? thats like $350 - best you start using the $ sign - or are you actually in england?! Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18034 Actually, it's the other way around, slightly underrated would tend to cycle less. Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18035 errrr, a bigger wattage heater than your tank requires - am i getting my "rated" around the wrong way? Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18038 Actually, it's the other way around, slightly underrated would tend to cycle less. A 50W heater, working on a tank that requires 100W would work more than a 150W heater in a tank that needed only 100W.. Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18041 Yeah, it would work less, but cycling is turning on and off, not being on constantly. 50 watts on a tank that needs 100 watts wouldn't cycle at all, it would be on constantly. So would 100 watts. 150 would turn on for a while, then off for a little while, on for a while, off. 200 would be on for half as long, off for the same amount of time. 250 would be on for 1/3rd the time, off for the same amount of time. Uhhh...Anyway, the closer you get to the exact number the longer the heater will be on and the less it will cycle. That being said, I have 300s in all my tanks. Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18043 advantages/disadvantages both ways - you dont want a smaller heater struggling to maintain temperature on a cold winter night!!! Report
May 18, 200422 yr comment_18044 A 300 watt heater in a rather small tank keeps the temp inconsistant, it heats to rapidly and unless you like boiled fish for breakfast I wouldn't suggest it! :-? Report
May 18, 200422 yr Author comment_18053 usually best to get a slightly over-rated heater for your tanks size - they typically last longer coz its not continually cycling on/off. errr.... 115 pounds? thats like $350 - best you start using the $ sign - or are you actually in england?! Yes i do live in england and theres a new setup for £115, so i suppose it is about $350 (Rip-off Britan) It comes with a 100L tank i think, maybe a bit more and a filter, Double Lights, Heater, and i think fake plants. If you'd prefer (You probably Would) I'll try and convert prices to $$$. :D I also wanted to say that i will be getting the new tank because i checked the tank properly this morning and it has leaked around the back, so it is now going to house my girlfriend's Tortoise. I am going to upgrade the heater and stuff slowly probably, i mite try and get a deal in the shop to upgrade the heater. :D :D Report
May 18, 200422 yr Author comment_18054 OK I jus checked on XE.com. £115 = 203 USD I dnt no if it is USD you use in New zealand??? Report
May 19, 200422 yr comment_18061 Hi Joel - surprisingly enough it's NZD here in NZ As for heater - I'd probably opt for the 150W for that size tank. As has been pointed out there are pros and cons for both opinions. Personally I opt for a heater of _slightly_ higher wattage than required. That way it should easily keep the temperature at the set value, but if it does stick on it wont cook your fish as quickly as going overboard with the wattage. As Doc has mentioned going overboard with the wattage means that you also get some temperature extremes when heating. Report
May 19, 200422 yr Author comment_18082 Hi Joel - surprisingly enough it's NZD here in NZ As for heater - I'd probably opt for the 150W for that size tank. As has been pointed out there are pros and cons for both opinions. Personally I opt for a heater of _slightly_ higher wattage than required. That way it should easily keep the temperature at the set value, but if it does stick on it wont cook your fish as quickly as going overboard with the wattage. As Doc has mentioned going overboard with the wattage means that you also get some temperature extremes when heating. I thought it would be something like NZD but it wasn't an option on XE.com on the little quick thing so £115 GBP is $334.76 NZD. About the heater, that was my thoughts too, i figured i shouldn't skimp but i didn't want to go overboard so i figured that 150W would be best. Thanxs For all the help, it has been usefull for finding out different reasons . What are the best heaters??? Who makes them??? :D :D :D Report
May 19, 200422 yr comment_18090 It all comes down to peoples personal opinion on what the best equipment is. And my opinion would be that Jager stainless steel heaters are the best. 8) Report
May 19, 200422 yr comment_18101 well dude it's generally all about price, cheap heater = crap, expensive heater = good Report
May 19, 200422 yr Author comment_18104 Oh fair Enough. I thought they mite b around the same price and there were particular brands to avoid. Ok then, i'll try to get a deal on a better, more expensive heater. :D Report
May 19, 200422 yr comment_18110 What are the best heaters??? Who makes them??? :D :D :D Again I must say, Aqua one are pretty good. Ive heard Jager heaters been breaking down and making fish fry recently. Ud be better off not gettin a jager one. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.