Fish memory theory busted by school boy

Faran

I've never believed that theory that fish have 30 second memories. Its obvious they retain memories as the majority of my fish know exactly what the fish net is, and relate it to bad things so they hide. Its often months without them seeing the net but they know exactly what it is, even seeing it through the glass!

Hell yea - my Oscars can definitly recognise different food containers and will react accordingly - the female doesn't like NovoTabs and will 'protest' and then swim away, whereas the male gets all excited. He also gets excited by the red dried cricket bottle, whereas the female likes the yellow meal worms one - and don't even think about showing a bag of turtle treats unless you've got a towel handy to clean up all the water they splash out of the tank in anticipation! :lol:

My five clown loaches all come up and eat cichlid gold off the surface. When I got some new loaches they had obviously never seen this before and didn't know what was going on. With in a few day watching the others they learned how to do it, slowly and cautiously at first, but after a while they were up there fast, clicking away scoffing the pellets down like the rest of them.

Definitely very intelligent, sometimes I wonder who's watching who...

Yes, in the environment wild fish live in, it's survival of the smartest and in my opinion some of them are pretty intelligent. Especially in a wild marine environment there are a lot of situations fish have to cope with and exploit in the best possible way, or lose to somebody else.

More than instinct alone can equip them for they have to figure things out.

Well here's some anecdotal evidence of mine for observational learning...

I feed the flame angel frozen brine shrimp and some fish pellets (alternately). I added a clown fish after a couple of months. The clown fish will go to the surface to get pellets as soon as they are added (and has done since purchase), which the angel has never done. It's now been a couple of weeks since the clown fish was added and now I see the flame angel going to the surface to get pellets also..