Longhorn Cowfish

Jasmine

I had a long horned cowfish for several years, in a 3 foot tank. It was really the best fish I ever had, i think they are very intelligent. It was very aware of what was going on in the room and would study any new people carefully. If there was a few of us by the tank it would always be right next to me.

Most cowfish eat from the water but this one would only eat if I hand fed it. If he was getting hungry he would spit water out of the tank.

Large numbers of neighbourhood kids had turned up and knocked on the door just to ask if they could have a look at it.

The big negative is they eat coral, mine was in a FO. They don't like too much flow either. And the biggy is to not let them eat from the water surface. They can gulp air and this wreaks havoc with them.

Cool, you will love it. You MUST post some pics when you get it.

Favourite food for it - get a live mussel and shell it. Chop very fine or freeze and grate with a coarse cheese grater. Serve. Your cowfish will love you. :D

Freeze what's left, one mussel will feed it for at least several weeks.

In the wild they poke around where little crustaceans live, and their mouth is adapted to blow puffs of water, to blow detritus and sand away and expose the worms / crustaceans etc. So mussel and other shellfish is perfect food although they will readily eat flake etc.

Cool, you will love it. You MUST post some pics when you get it.

Favourite food for it - get a live mussel and shell it. Chop very fine or freeze and grate with a coarse cheese grater. Serve. Your cowfish will love you. :D

Freeze what's left, one mussel will feed it for at least several weeks.

In the wild they poke around where little crustaceans live, and their mouth is adapted to blow puffs of water, to blow detritus and sand away and expose the worms / crustaceans etc. So mussel and other shellfish is perfect food although they will readily eat flake etc.

Sounds easy enough :D I seem to like the more unusual type of fish. My Green Spotted Puffers are still my loves at the moment though.

I have one in my fish only (well mostly fish only, tank has a few softies in it but he hasn't eaten any *yet* :lol: ) Called Spike Lee. He is so great, I could spend hours watching him flap his little fins around. Knows me already and swims up and down the glass begging for food whenever I come near 8) I definitely recommend them if you have a spare fish only tank, personality wise he is the coolest and most 'interactive' fish I've got.

PS I was lucky enough to have my fiance buy him for me too :bounce: Hehehe we are lucky girls Jasmine!

Only small, it's a 120L hex. He is going to go into a 4+ foot FOWLR when we buy a place (which fingers x'd should be within the year). He's only a bubba (about 5cm long maybe) so has plenty of room for now :lol: I'll try and borrow a cam to get pictures of him so I can show him off :D

Only small, it's a 120L hex. He is going to go into a 4+ foot FOWLR when we buy a place (which fingers x'd should be within the year). He's only a bubba (about 5cm long maybe) so has plenty of room for now :lol: I'll try and borrow a cam to get pictures of him so I can show him off :D

That'd be great :)

Is it a 4 foot tank? If so nearly all the commonly kept reef fish will be OK with him.

Hate to tell you this the only fish that bothered my cowfish was the puffer, it use to sneak up then bite his fin. But yours are a different puffer so you may be OK.

Got a camera?