Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Desperately seeking - an emerald crab

Featured Replies

Hi All,

I'm glad to have found this site! I was just wondering is there any hope of finding an emerald crab in NZ? I would like one to go after my bubble algae which is an ongoing nightmare. My tank is only 175 litre + 80litre sump refugium so I'm not too keen to put in a sailfin tang or foxface as they grow big. Thanks for any info, I would pay top dollar for one of these crabs..

Sean

so I'm not too keen to put in a sailfin tang or foxface

They do grow big to a degree but will not grow fast in a small tang. Even are 3-4 years they will be ok for your tank.

Also are you using a phostphate remover like rowaphos, this will help in reduce nutrients for the algae,

How much bubble algae have you got?

I had a little initially and also later had some on a piece of live rock from another reefers tank. In both instances I manually removed the bubble algae using a very small flat head screwdriver and netting the floaters.

If you do this, you have to be careful not to burst the bubbles as this will help it spread.

  • Author

They do grow big to a degree but will not grow fast in a small tang. Even are 3-4 years they will be ok for your tank.

Also are you using a phostphate remover like rowaphos, this will help in reduce nutrients for the algae,

I was just about to get some phosphate remover. I may try to source a small sailfin or foxface. If anyone knows of one available in akl would be great if you could ping me. Thanks

As mentioned try to remove it, should come off easy. once removed tangs should be able to graze on it.

Easier said than done though reef, you can only get to the ones that you can reach, the rest just keep growing happily.

  • Author

I read on wetwebmedia this guy ran rowa phos with a phosphate reactor and had massive success with his bubble algae woes. I may give this a go..

said than done though reef, you can only get to the ones that you can reach, the rest just keep growing happily.

get a tooth brush on a long stick. the bubble algae comes off easy.

what about if your phosphates are really low, mine only get to 0.03 on the salifert test and then i stick in more phosphate remover and it goes back to zero and i have bubble algae every where...... although my nitrates have crept up a bit, around 10.

what about if your phosphates are really low, mine only get to 0.03 on the salifert test and then i stick in more phosphate remover and it goes back to zero and i have bubble algae every where...... although my nitrates have crept up a bit, around 10.

0.03 on a Salifert kit is actually quite a high level, due to the limitations of this type of test.

However bubble algae is able to survive and propsper in very low nutrient levels, for me over the years it has come and gone in cycles, i'm suspicious there is more to it than just phosphate alone. For many tanks you probably need something in there that will eat it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.