Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Firefish (Fire Gobys)

Featured Replies

Just out of interest, has anyone had a tank with 2 different firefish species in it? I've currently got a Red Firefish (or Fire Goby I think they're called?) But one day would like to also have a purple one (If I can ever find one), but I believe they will fight with their own kind?

Currently the red one has its area of the tank, and only ever leaves its "swimming" area to grab a bit of food, but is right back there within seconds incase it needs to "bolt" into its hole.

Tank is 350 Litres and there are tons of hiding spots etc

im also wondering the same thing I have been offered both and they are one of my favourite fish

I know that the purple ones are carnivores and that the orange ones eat algae and flake etc

and I know they are classed as different species but somehow I dont think it would work but hopefuly there is someone out there that has tried it

  • Author

My red one doesn't touch algae at all, i'm pretty sure they're both carnivores.

Though those clasifications are a bit rough, my Tangs both love brine shrimp lol

know that the purple ones are carnivores and that the orange ones eat algae and flake etc

Both are the same genus and both carnivores.

One of nemateleotris magnifica and Nemateleotris decora should be fine.

Currently have a mixed of both with no issues.

Would a purple and orange be fine in a rsm together?

It depends on the fish itself as they might fight, i have not had a issue when they are in the same tank.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I ended up getting a pair of them, and they seem to be getting on absolutely fine with the orange one, even made their bolt holes in the same area (typical considering theres a massive amount of other spots they couldn't made it)

  • Author

I didn't see it there either :(

Heres a pic

DSC01905Small.jpg

Just missed out on a photo of the red one hanging with them aswel

  • Author

They seem pretty happy together. They split up when they went into the tank which worried me a bit, but they've managed to find each other overnight so I'm assuming they've got some sort of relationship with each other.

Is there anyway to tell males and females apart?

Nice! I have to say that when I first got into marines I wasn't so keen on firefish but they've definitely grown on me. The two together look great too!

Re: Dottyback didn't see it either... must have been sold.

  • Author
Nice! I have to say that when I first got into marines I wasn't so keen on firefish but they've definitely grown on me. The two together look great too![\quote]

Really? The red firefish was one of reasons I went marine! lol

I liked the colours but I think it took a while to get used to the shape of them - I got into marine because of the coral banded shrimp, flame angel and a couple of the lps corals that John had ..... I believe the CBS and flame angel that I saw were the ones that cONCH ended up with!

Are you going to get another red fire fish?

  • Author

Mine have never made any indication that they would jump, but then again my tank is totally covered for that reason lol

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.