Pet fish on flights

matthewY

Anyone tried flying with pet fish?

I've booked a flight from auckland to wellington for a function and was hoping to transport some baby discus / mountain minnows. I figured a 5L container for 4 baby discus and 1 L for afew minnows....

Just called up Pacific Blue today to check if all is good, wasnt expecting any issues but apparently they do not allow any pets on board (including fish).... ummm any thoughts??? a bit guttered :-(

darn, yeah, was thinking of carry on, it'll be like 6kg, i should still have pleanty of room :-)

i could kind of understand the liquid thing, esp now that you cant carry water on international flights, can also understand that if I had some sort of fisah that I could use as a weapon... however... these a small baby fish in a lunchbox (and they are still alive so cant be acid or anything in there).... ummm....

Yeah posting prob the best but it only takes 30 mins or so on a flight and it takes so much longer on the road...

ah well, sounds like its not happening :-(

I have done this a number of times as well.

Double baged fish then put with heat pack into a "chillibag". that I have then carried on.

Went thru scanner and all got asked about heat pad once but no big deal otherwise.

DONT put in cargo.

DONT have "loose"

HTH

Navarre

Anything like that that could represent a hazzard will be pounced on (if spilt people could slip on it - if it leaks it can short wiring - or you could be a 'fish-bomber' if you know how to create liquid explosive).You'd be best to courier them :wink:

they give you drinks on those flights don't they?

I would take them with me.

they give you drinks on those flights don't they?

I would take them with me.

Yes, but 100ml is a bit different from 5000ml. I think a lot of it depends upon the security guys too. I know a couple of them quite well, and if you strike them as a reasonable sort of person they'll just wave you through. If you strike them as something else, they'll give you the run around for the hell of it. Anyone with a Metallica T shirt gets special attention :lol:

i think tHEcONCH nailed it on the head... ummm to risk or not to risk, discus are expensive........ has anyone been on pacific blue recently?

I guess I can always say I won it at a pet shop in auckland :-) who would deprive me of my prize... (sad look with puppy eyes etc). 40mm discus, 3 or so in 2 L container on lap?