What plant is this??

Rozski

Did you buy this from your LFS?

I wonder if half of the stores even know what it is their selling.

It is Syngonium ,Not a true aquarium plant. It will rot, die and pollute your tank if left in.

Will go ok for a few weeks in cooler water but does not like warmer water temps. It will start to go brown and die.

Looks great in frog setups etc , and will last alot longer if grown semi submersed but will eventually die.

In short , it is a popular pot plant, and in a pot in your living room is where it will be best.

Ps, i hope that you didnt pay to much, as you can buy these as babby plants at the red shed for $2.00

HTH

Agreed, mouse ear. I have the one I purchased from Animates when I first got into plants living in a pot in my kitchen now.

It also looks like it has a fairly good infection of cynobacteria (blue green/slime algae) which you want to avoid when purchasing plants. This will quickly die when removed from the water with the plant (assuming you'll be potting it) but try and avoid knocking any off as it spreads faster that way than just through the water column.

Yep - as a general rule (there are exceptions, like Tiger Lotus) any plant with a varigated leaf (more than one colour on the leaf) is a terrestrial plant and not suitable for long term aquarium use. That isn't to say they won't survive submersed for a month or two, but they will eventually die. On the flip side, you can often pick up things like Black Mondo grass at pet shops for a fraction of the price they go for at a plant shop - that's where all the ones in my garden came from :lol:

Thanks to those of you who replied and were nice about it 8)

Went back to store, and worker was very interested when I said I had been told it was not an underwater plant and was more than happy for me to swap for another plant. She also decided to give me back half, and put half in one of their tanks to see if it would survive or not (didn't want to be buying in plants for sale from a plant and fish supplier that were going to die). Also had another of the same one in one of their tropical tanks that had been there for 3 1/2 weeks I think and it was looking nice and healthy.

Also not infested with cyano, its just a combo of the colouration of the leaf edges and slightly mucky little tank I'd chucked it in when I got home

• 1 month later...