Oscars & Jack Dempsey's

sorcha

Hi there, I'm looking at setting up a 4 ft 300l tank in about a month and quite keen on both Jack dempsey's & Oscars.

Can they go together? 1 of each? Or is 2 of each ok?

Have read mixed reviews on both and wouldn't mind some advice from the pro's :)

Would get them as babies or young and upgrade to a larger tank down the track.

Otherwise any other tank mate suggestions?

Cheers

Cool :) We used to have a couple as kids, no idea of the tank size, was large, all I remember is finding the largest one with half a catfish sticking out of it's mouth and stuck! It was a big cat fish too, they are cool fish though.

Yep the bigger the better with tanks :)

all I remember is finding the largest one with half a catfish sticking out of it's mouth and stuck! It was a big cat fish too

Thats y oscars are usally kept by them selves as the mouths are on hinges and they let them of teh hinges when they try to eat something

800L is a bit excesive, but if you can afford to go that large go for it, as sorcha said the bigger the better for the fish. My dad has three oscars, a dempsey a red devil and a quetzal and they are all healthy and get on fine. I think his tank is 600L (6x2x2) he did get em young, they went through a stage where they fought a bit as they were maturing and that was it. Oscars and jacks are fine from my experience.

lol I am well bitten by the african bug! I have the 400l 5 ft tank set up with lots of africans mainly all yours! :) They are very happy and awesome to watch, I got another tank the other day quite cheap :)

and have always wanted a couple of oscars and a jack and no I would not mix them with the africans lol

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful, I think i'll get a couple of babies and see how we go :D

Lol na ive seen huge ones..... i wnat ur 1s so they dig

Unless you can provide a photo of the fish with a tape measure I call B.S. Oscars don't get to 60cm, in fact they don't get much over 30cm (generally). They grow really fast to around 25cm then slow down from there. A 300L tank would be fine for an oscar and a jd, I'd avoid getting twos of things unless you're prepared to deal with them if/when they start breeding.