GUY SAID HE WANTS TO FOCUS ON BREEDING "GLO DANIO'S

cichlid7

Where are people finding information that this fish is a Glo-fish?

Danio choprai Hora 1928 is named the Glowlight Danio. After significant google searching there is nothing I found to suggest this fish is modified at all. Only statements warning that this is not to be mistaken as a glo-fish.

I beleive the glo-danio which was destroyed was a genetically manipulated form of Danio rerio, a Zebra Danio

Hi All.

With all the Hoo Haa that went on about the GM Danio's, I find it hard to believe that there are still people out there, and those that know who those people are that still have them, and are keeping or "trying" to breed them and have the lack of conscience to "DOB" those people in.

To that end it makes them as bad as those who still have those fish. :evil:

Unforunately the law is the law, and I have expressed my views to MAF via the "OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT".

I am prepared to table my letter on the subject and the replies at the conference if needs be.

IT DOES NOT MEAN I AM ANTI GM.

Well I AM certainly anti GM, but that has nothing to do with these fish.

It seems that most of you seem to fail to grasp the difference between a GE'd Glow-Danio and a "Glowlight" Danio, which is a completely legal fish to have, breed and sell.

And this is why I HATE common names! There will always be these mis-understandings.

Interestingly enough he has now changed the auction. It is now selling "one Kouli Loach", the questions are still there referring to the Danios though. What a laugh!

Hi All.

Carla, for the last 40 years I have been telling all fellow hobbyists to use the "LATIN (Scientific) NAME" for fish so as there is NO ROOM FOR MISUNDERSTANDINGS.

As is always happening, I am being told it is too hard to remember them and use the "Common Name" as given by people over the years.

:bow:

Hi All.

Carla, for the last 40 years I have been telling all fellow hobbyists to use the "LATIN (Scientific) NAME" for fish so as there is NO ROOM FOR MISUNDERSTANDINGS.

Except for the dozens of fish which have several different latin names or are misnamed to begin with...

Well I AM certainly anti GM, but that has nothing to do with these fish.

It seems that most of you seem to fail to grasp the difference between a GE'd Glow-Danio and a "Glowlight" Danio, which is a completely legal fish to have, breed and sell.

And this is why I HATE common names! There will always be these mis-understandings.

Interestingly enough he has now changed the auction. It is now selling "one Kouli Loach", the questions are still there referring to the Danios though. What a laugh!

Carla did you actually read the thread before posting? It was made quite clear by all that the trademe seller was calling glowlight danios "glo danios" by mistake, and this was what the query was about. This was spelled out in the first few posts of the thread.

Plants are just as confusing if using common names. When selling I try to use both.

I'm with this guy. If you use both then you're pretty much being as clear as possible. I actually have a small fetish for using language precisely but my knowledge of fish species is far too limited, and it gets even more confusing if there's a knowledge barrier when you're talking to other people.

Things like calling a cameo (cat) a tricolour or a blue torti a dilute tricolour because it explains exactly what you're looking at. Why do physics teachers explain the difference between speed and velocity then proceed to use "speed" indeterminably? On my vet nursing course we learnt the correct words for various cells but there was no consistency - we're taught that red blood cells are erythrocytes, but never use the bloody word past when we're first taught that. How are you going to remember the word in that case??

Anyway, I'll stop rambling :oops: