Import list.

Glen

Id say contact maf, but I would imagine its a very hard long and expensive process.

As far as im aware maf did a big thing a while ago when they asked people to submit photos etc of the species already in nz and those were the species allowed to be imported there are still alot of fish floating around who people didn't get pics of.

It would be easy if maf went back to allowing a whole genus of fish say all of aulonacara (all peacocks) as you wont find a peacock that would survive in cold water. Kinda cracks me up because guppies etc are allowed in but they are actually living breeding and surviving in NZ waters.

Good luck though let us know how you get on it might be easier than I think, what fish were you after?

Thanks for that, im not really after anything in particular. I guess it would be nice to add some fresh blood to species that are already here. ie frontosa as an example where they have pretty much all come from the same colony in nz, and be able to improve on what we already have would be a bonus. Just thinking out loud really. Thanks :roll:

Why go to all the trouble of getting new species added when some of the cool fish already on the list aren't imported?

Amphilophus [syn. Cichlasoma] festae, or the red terror is on the list but I've never seen them here. If you're interested in importing some cool new cichlids try convince someone with an import license/quarantine facility to bring in some from Jeff Rapps (www.tangledupincichlids.com). I'd be the first in line to buy some if you could!!

Amphilophus%20festae%20(MALE).jpg

Another possibility for something new thats already on the list would be a barred midas (Amphilophus citrinellus), also available from Rapps and legally allowed to be imported, but again I am yet to see them here.

stripemidas.jpg

Crenicichla lacustris (Pike cichlid) is also on the list, but again not available here.

crenicichla_02.jpg

You could probably fudge things a bit and import some young dovii as baby jags, or juvenile Uaru fernandezyepezi imported as U. amphiacanthoides etc if you're willing to take the gamble. [obviously myself of FNZAS would never condone or suggest such behavior, I'm merely pointing out that it would be possible given the similar look of junenile fish and the ignorance of certain authorities...)

What has to be done to get a new species on the import list? I know MAF are fairly tough here , how often does the list change?

The list is going to stay the same other than a few fish which might be added.

Its coming up to three years since some fish where added and still waiting,

If you want to add anything you have to get it approved by ERMA and then MAF. Takes about 3-5 years.

It is not hard to add fish, just takes lots of time and does cost but not over the top.

Hopefully someone will start to add new species otherwise in 5-6 years we will miss out on many of the new species that are discovered,.

Good project for hobbyist to undertake,

here is some info.

First get ERMA approval then MAF. should be done in 3-5 years.

dont for get you have to also do this

Including Mäori Perspectives

The general Quick guide on Making an Application gives broad guidance on including Mäori

perspectives.

Significant effects for Mäori are especially likely to occur with new organism applications. They

are likely to be applications that impact on natural resources of all kinds, including wähi tapu, as

well as on Mäori spiritual values attached to valued natural resources.

http://www.erma.govt.nz/resources/publications/pdfs/ER-QG-18-3.pdf

My goodness, I really am having to bite my tongue here to avoid going off on a big rant about how stupid and PC this country has become, pandering to minority groups and......

see! :lol:

Anyway, lets start importing more of the fish that are on the list before worrying about adding more! I want to see some P. delhezi here again.