Antipsychotic meds for fish?

Rufus

Anybody know the Olanzapine dose for fish?

We have a psychopath in our tank!

We have had a few fatalities this week (2 neons, 2 new leopard danios) who all lost chunks of their tails overnight. Now one of our 2 Dwarf Gouramis is floating around on his side with what looks like a swimbladder problem no control of buoyancy, not a good look, and has been relocated to the infirmary (or should that be infinmary) for some blue stuff which cures "everything". Maybe he got bashed by the other Gourami.

Just caught the other Gourami taking chunks out of another Leopard Danio. The poor danios must dread us going to the shop as we seem to massacre all their relatives.

Oddly the Dwarf Gourami seems to go for new tankmates only. Maybe he's into live feeding - it seems I am, albeit inadvertantly!

Any ideas as to what we can do? I expect the answer is "not a lot unless you waste the psycho". I thougt Gouramis were relatively calm, peaceful fish, we were originally worrying about them getting nipped.

I suppose at least it's not some evil plague about to kill everything. Just an evil fish about to chomp everybody. Perhaps I should sit him down and ask him about his father....... "You see Doc ... it all started when I was a fry .... my father was never around, he left after spawning, and Mum tried to eat me...."

In my limited experience dwarf gouramis are not easy fish to keep. I was sold them as beginners fish and had 7 0f them, now down to two. Mine have never attacked other fish other than when building their his first nest and i wonder whether the size of your tank may be too small or the set up may not provide enough territories.

should that be infinmary

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never had gouramis so can't help there. Do you have hiding places for the fishies to go?

The first time I had mollies I was told they were very peaceful and never bother any other fish which included goldies...HAH. At the time I had put them in a tank with goldies, and they hassled him like crazy, he got ick and they went bye bye!

Now with that said, I have had mollies since with other fish and never had a problem.

One of the things I've learned here and well like the experience I spoke of above, because a particular species of fish is supposed to be peaceful, doesn't mean all will be and vice versa...a fish that is supposed to be aggressive doesn't mean all will be. If you know what I mean :-? :-?

Hope you get it sorted out :P

Caper

Caper

A whole Gourami dissapear ??!! How big is your tank?? Good grief!

Re: it being a Hamilton thing Maybe the City slogan should go from hamiltON to "Hamilton - City of psycho fish........ " Perhaps there is too much P in the water or something .....

I had a golden gourami do this kind of thing too, but never a dwarf. But in saying that some fish can become very territorial and not like new fish being introduced into their area. Maybe you can swap the dwarf gourami causing the issue for another fish at your lfs, that is what I did in the end with my golden gourami.

A whole Gourami dissapear ??!! How big is your tank?? Good grief!

Re: it being a Hamilton thing Maybe the City slogan should go from hamiltON to "Hamilton - City of psycho fish........ " Perhaps there is too much P in the water or something .....

Yeah I know! no bones no skull nothing! it is only a 3' tank too :o

In my limited experience dwarf gouramis are not easy fish to keep. I was sold them as beginners fish and had 7 0f them, now down to two. Mine have never attacked other fish other than when building their his first nest and i wonder whether the size of your tank may be too small or the set up may not provide enough territories.

Aren't Dwarf Gourami's (well the imported ones) usually full of parasites and most of them die shortly after purchase? I've read stuff about this issue but don't know the full story behind it. :-?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had much luck with gouramis either. Dwarf blue pair died within days, one from dropsy and the other terrorised by a female betta. Same problem with dwarf honey gouramis. Here one day, dead the next with no sign of illness. They seem really fragile so I'm not planning to try (buy) any more...I give up :cry:

Anybody know the Olanzapine dose for fish?

Depends on what studies you read - the ride studies recommend 20mg BD for three days.

We have a psychopath in our tank!

This would suggest that olanzapine would not be effective.

If you do want to try then may I recommend the wafers or injectable Olanzapine - they will dissolve quicker.

Ideally best treatment get a bigger fish to boss him around