Peat or not Peat

Adrienne

I gather from various discussions I've read that peat can help lower the pH in a tank.

Where do you get it from - is it the same as the garden centre stuff.

Would the best place to put it be in the sump?

Any idea as to how much would be needed to lower the pH of a 450 litre tank with a sump holding around 100 litres.

Is this the most natural way of lowering pH?

My pH is currently 7.6 and may have to look at getting it slightly under 7.

I've found that adding bog wood rather than peat is a better way of lowering the pH and adding tannins. It works for a longer time and is more stable.

But definitely don't mess about with adding chemicals to lower pH.

Fluctuating pH isn't pleasant when you think about it. If you lower (or raise) a pH by 1 you have made it 10 times more acidic (or alkaline), lowering by 2 makes it 100 times more acidic (or alkaline). So if you drop your pH quickly by adding chemicals then the effect is similar to us being droped in and burnt by acid only to have the chemicals breakdown the pH to rise and give an alkaline burn. While the fish can get used to a particular pH it is the changes that cause the burns.

I'm not going to alter it. The tanks really being set up for the discus I'm getting (from discusguru). A couple of my gold rams have died in the last week and I had been told that they like the same pH as discus and 7.6 I thought was a bit high. I had tested it on Monday and it was 7 - mind you yesterdays test was done with a new test kit.

However the remaining 6 rams seem fine at the moment so may have had nothing to do with it.

And the best of all - apparently as long as its stable the discus will be fine too when I get them.