Algae

KELLYMAN

How to post pics is covered here:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2406

A few of us use Photobucket.com - although it has become rather littered with nasty blinky flashy ads of late, but if you can turn a blind eye to them, the photo hosting works fine.

The main thing to watch is your image size.

If the photos are yours, you do not need permission to post them, except for the Freshwater and Saltwater Members Tank sections, where they will be checked by Admin before they can be seen.

HTH

One of the local lfs has driftwood with plants attached with black brush algae growing on it for sale @ $30 each. Luckily the staff were a bit helpful about what the black stuff was and how invasive it can become. I was tempted as it looked amazing...

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is= ... %3Dup6RKKt%

Removed four of your posts above... as your links were going nowhere.

You need to have your pics on a site that will allow you to post them on another site...

The one you are using does not allow this apparently.

Join Photobucket.... it's free.. and it is what most members use here.

Bill.

Mod

blacken out all light from the tank for 3 days, try a 1.5x dose of flourish excel (make sure you don't have plants along the water's surface and your filter is causing some disturbance along the surface, otherwise your fish could suffocate), introduce young blackline flying foxes and remove as many affected leaves as possible.

Hi, I will give that a go. My filter pumps out a fair amount of water but I might put the spray boom back up horizontal at the top of the tank as I have it vertical in a corner and it doesnt break the surface, I do have air going through a bubble stick thing at the other end, the lights are on from 7am to about 10pm..... lol I like watching them I'm thinking that might be to much light though??

With Photobucket, just click on the bottom of the four options under your photo - it starts 'img....', it will say 'copied' then you paste this into the forum and you get the picture coming up, not just a link.

Be careful with the Flourish Excel, if you have catfish such as bristlenoses, or fish without scales, they do not handle shock doses of this fertiliser very well and I would be wary of using it in large doses if you do. If you don't have any scaleless fish, you should start with a couple of normal doses as per the instructions, then you could try a double dose.

The lighting period you have does not seem excessive, our lights go on at eight in the morning and off at ten at night. Are your tanks close to a window, direct natural daylight can cause some algae problems too.

HTH

Ok will keep that in mind with the flourish as I do have some catfish and yes my tank is in the front lounge where it gets a fair bit of light during the day as its right by a big window, (nowhere else to put it) My next tank I'm going to build into wall cavity so I can view from 2 sides :) just have too convince the wife thats all ....lol :wink: