BN and goldies

Whiskas

I have had a Bristlenose in with a tank of goldies for a while now and he is doing fine. Can't say the same for the goldies! Didn't realise until now (when we are down to just one goldie) that the BN has been attacking the goldies! :o Didn't realise BN's could be so vicious! He is now floating in a container in the tank until i decide what to do about the situation.

Was thinking about putting in a tank divider, as we would love to keep both the goldie and the BN. Any suggestions?

The tank has a heater in it set at the lowest temp 18-20degrees.

I noticed the goldies had ribboned tails and eventually scales missing. I treated them for fin rot and did water changes etc. Eventually they died. I put a new fish in this morning after the last lot died and i had cleaned out the tank etc. After just a couple of hours the new goldies tail and fins were a mess! He also looked stressed out and i noticed the BN "flying" at him.

He is a male BN, so perhaps he thinks the goldies are female BN's!! I have a rather small female at home in a tank with another small male, do you think i should put her in with him? Or will he also attack her? He is about 12cm and she would be around 5-6cm. If i do put the female in with him is he likely to stop bullying the goldies?

what size tank he is in

does he have a cave he can hide in so he does get bully by the golds

iv had bns with gold fish never had any trouble.they are getting plenty of food at nigth.if they are hunger they will try to suck on the side of fish it donts mater if its cold or ttropical fish if they not getting nuff food they will try to suck on the side of the fish.

He has heaps of rocks and therefore caves to hang out in. The size of the tank, hmmm... about 60ltrs.

He isn't interested in the food i put in there. I have tried spirulina and pleco chips and the occasional pea (he likes the pea the most but dont have anywhere at work to keep a good supply of these). I heard you can feed them mince...? Is this true? And do you give it to them cooked or uncooked?

I have never heard of them liking mince and would be reluctant as it would foul the tank if you weren't careful. You would only need 2 or 3 peas at any time so just take them to work with you. They don't take up much room after all :wink:

You could also try cucumber, courgette or zuchinni.