Butterfly Creek - African Tank?

Kezza

first off....happy new year!

Took the kids out to Butterfly Creek (Mangere, Auckland) yesterday and to my surprise there was one big 'ef-off African display tank set up with all manner of species - t'was truly awesome.....

if you haven't seen it and you get the chance, just do it!

Anyone know the specifications of the tank?? Impressive!!

Hi

Pretty awesome tank. Love to have that in the house.

I sold BFC the 18 adult girraffes a number of years ago plus a few odds and ends.

The rest of the larger fish came from A.O.A. One of the fish he sold was a MASSIVE borleyi male which i noticed wasnt there the last time I visited.

Great display tank and setup but one thing, and if they dont do something about it they will lose alot of older fish, is the fish need serious worming!

Hey Tropheus, I'm curious, how do you know when fish need worming? I've only been in the game a couple of years but I've not heard of fish needing worming before...

Re the big tank at BFC, bummed I didn't think to take the kids there over christmas. We were in Auckland for a week and the tank sounds awesome! Nevermind, maybe next time... :roll:

I didn't notice that when I was there it was a while ago that I was last there though.. Tropheus do you have that line of kadango's going still?

peanuts2110 is is relatively common to worm fish and I would say internal parasites are very common and cause alot of problems with fish. Signs that fish need worming are white stringy poo's, fish that just wont fill out or grow no matter how much you feed them, and in the later stages the fish just wastes away to nothing. I worm new fish before they go into my tanks and have made up a food with wormer in it that I feed out occasionally to keep on top of things. It makes a huge difference to your fish.

I just use metro, when I want to dose the entire tank I drop the water level to half or even quarter, one tab per 40 litres daily with a water change, with my food I just crush up a few tabs dissolve them in water and blend it up with my frozen food..

Just a word of caution though it is probably not a good idea to do half doses or just add meds randomly to your tank, the only reason I do it is because im always getting fish and I use the same nets in most my tanks etc etc, if you only have one tank and your fish are filled out growing colourful etc there is probably no point in doing it :)

Yeah it has a few trade names most vets know it by flagyl or something starting with tric@##$$ I cant remember ive got a bottle with the 3 names written on it somewhere ill find it but im sure someone will beat me to it by the time I find it..

Metronidazole is what its called though, hopefully you have a good vet mine will give it to me as its nothing dangerous and they know nothing about treating fish, google it and find an official looking page on treating fish with it print it out to show your vet for a bit of assurance for them if they seem a bit cagey.

Hi.

Just what Ryan said. A few of the fish had sunken stomachs and some even looked like they had no flesh on their entire bodies. Just skeletons. And just hovering in one place.

Its a great tank now but if they sort it out (worms) it be a greater tank :)

Re the Borleyi. Have sent a list to the local fish shops so they get first choice. If any left over will let you know. ta