How do you identify white spot?

Doc Holiday

I've noticed in the last day that the larger of my two oscars has started to get a milky white film like patch on the top of his head. Is this the early signs of white spot? or is something else? could be some kind of fatty deposit after a couple of feeds of beef heart? Some input on this would be greatly appreciated!! They are little stressed due to lack of territorial space waiting for thier new home to arrive from china.

More likely over production of their body slime due to stress (possibly, says she who is not up on the play with diseases). Not white spot. White spot is so named because it forms definite white spots, not a white milky film.

Guest Anonymous

whats you ph?

ammonia reading?

how much food are you feeding?

im not a big fan of feeding beef heart as fish have a higher chance of getting sick and hole in the head, todays fish food is well made with everything that fish need, think about it how often do fish eat cows hearts in the wild?

cool if you dont sign in you become a guest :lol: must remember that for next time.

ment to ask how often are you feeding the fish and how long have you had them in the tank?

sounds like stress and maybe ph burn

The water chemistry is fine, having a little trouple buffering the ph but am slowly getting it under control. But any advise on keeping the ph at around 7.0 would be greatly appreciated, it is currently around 6.0 to 6.5 and trying to find ways to keep it high enough. The reason for feeding beef heart is it is very clean and the fish are in an undersized tank for there eating habits. I haven't heard of PH burn before, can you please explain this in more detail, I would love to know!

ok so the water isnt right because you keep putting ph up in it, ph burn is when a fish is in a different ph that its use to, some fish can handle changing if its slow but i think what you have been doing is putting ph up in and the fish swim under it when you pore it in, your ph keeps going low because you have lots of fish for your tank size, fish go to the loo in their tanks and if its overstocked then you need to do more water changers, also gravel has something to do with our ph, if you have a low ph gravel then you need to add more gravel or put shells in it to bring it up, shells (you buy them at a pet shop) not just from the beach, crushed shell is what your looking for ,put the shell in a filter bag and put in your tank , test every day if it goes to high then you will have to take some out or add some if it doesnt work, lasts about 6months and is you cheepest way of doing it.

6.5 is ok for them to live in.