December 23, 200718 yr comment_203567 Hi guys, Just wondering is it safe to put polystyrene in a fish tank? And what sort of paint can I put on it and where can I get it? Report
December 23, 200718 yr comment_203574 A guy down your way on here (andrew129 I think is his username) made an awesome one and posted full diy instructions in the diy section maybe the sort of search thing on here would find it? Report
December 23, 200718 yr comment_203575 found it http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/back-g ... 23181.html unsure if he still uses the forums but he is a nice guy and will happily help you out im sure if you want his email let me know Report
January 28, 200818 yr comment_209760 does it need to be cured or anything first? Or can you just cut it and put it in the tank? I wanna use it for a tank divider, but might give the background thing a go a bit later, as it looks real cool!!! Report
January 28, 200818 yr comment_209761 what ever you do though do not spray paint it, It eats away at it fast. Report
January 29, 200818 yr comment_209824 Remember it is very bouyant so will need to go under tank bracing or something to hold it in place. Report
January 29, 200818 yr comment_209825 could you glue it to the tank? or would th effect the fish when you full it up with water? Report
January 29, 200818 yr comment_209826 You could silicone it to the base but if it is very narrow I don't think the silicone would hold. Report
January 30, 200818 yr comment_209982 As a tank 'divider' it won't, in effect, have a back. I know someone who made a background using polystyrene coated with silicone with gravel attached. It still wanted to float without having the tank brace to hold it in place. Report
January 31, 200818 yr comment_210188 i was actually going to use it down the sides on a net-covered fridge shelf (you know the plastic covered bar ones from older fridges or from freezers) so that the divider would sit in the tank. As it turned out the 'shelf' was such a good fit that i only needed to use rocks on either side to hold it up. I have had a look at some of those polystyrene backgrounds, they look pretty cool. i think i will give it a go and make one for my jebo tank. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.