My new secondhand tank - help please

Adrienne

I picked up my new tank (secondhand) today. 450 litres. Here are some pics but I don't know what all the bits and pieces are for. It was a marine tank but I want to use it for freshwater. Any help greatly appreciated.

the full shot - my husband at the left is 6ft so gives you some idea of the size

fullshot.jpg

piping - uses?

apiping.jpg

are these powerheads, what is the one on the right?

powerheads.jpg

how does this work - it goes right to the bottom of the tank inside - looks like a filter intake, on the outside it looks like a hose can be attached.

intake.jpg

the sump - divided into three sections - the pipes are on one end only

sump.jpg

there is also a large piece of clear perspex with fairly large holes all over it, don't have a clue what it would be used for.

One of the braces on the top - the centre one is broken and needs to be replaced.

Suggestions, sites etc - I'm prepared to read about it but not very mechanically? minded.

the bottom pic is the one of the sump. I know in theory how it works but don't know how to connect it up or whether or not all the pieces are there.

It also came with a heater and thermostat and inside the cabinet is a 6 pin multi plug. The cabinet is lined with polystyrene.

No hole, the thing in photo 3 is what is in the back left hand corner. There are no holes drilled in the tank. The lid has moon lighting (leds) attached and has enough space for this thing to sit in the back left hand corner. The lid does not have a top, is open

looks like all the gear is there

white pipe from sump to tank

plastic pipe from over flow box into sump connection

water will flow from overflow box to sump then pumped back to tank through white pipe, use red tap to regulate so waterflow is same in as out i think

perspex with holes should sit in top of sump to create layer for water to trickle through into sump

bit hard to sort from photos

hopefull someone more local will read and may be able to help

giant jigsaw

That will be a float valve for an automatic top up (ie, you attach it to a relay and a small pump at it automatically keeps the water level at the perfect level. Something you will not need in a freshwater tank, and will be a PITA to sort out (as the rest of it is not there)

Just block that one off, and all will be well. Because that is for the Auto top off, that must mean that the section it is in, is the return section of the sump (ie where the return pump sits)

all of them are powerheads yes. The one on the left looks like a Sieo, the others could be anything. The right hand one has a prefilter on it

Its exactly that, a filter. Its called a pre filter because it is before something, in this case the powerhead.

To block it off you should just be able to pull the float valve part out of the bulkhead and then put a cap over the bulkhead to block it

P.S. incase you didn't know, the bulkhead is the fitting that goes through the hole in the glass, and seals each side

Power head on the right is a Maxi Jet by Aquarium systems.

Actually quite a good power head.

Also looks like an Eden power head in the middle with moving nozel for wave making, not so crash hot as the mechanism clogs up (well dod for me)

Pump in the left looks like a Rio, has a reputation for blowing up.

The overflow looks to be a Tunze box.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=AU ... zeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter005

Looks to me as you do need a bid return pump, the power heads probably are not grunty enough although the RIO maybe.

Actually, looking at the pipe work the original owner may had both the RIO and Maxi-Jet as return pumps. Hard to know without knowing the flows rates and head pressure.

Personally I like the Eheim 1060 (think their now called 1260) pump for return, super reliable and easy to get a 2nd hand one off a marine guy.

If your wanting to clean the gear off, soak it in a solution of water and white vinegar over night. Will clean it off like new.

The plumbing Fittings (black ones) are Hassens and widely used for plumbing on fish tanks here

http://www.hansenproducts.co.nz/

Hard to comment on the sump with put seeing the whole item and how itsd baffled. Marine sumps do tend to be a bit more customised the a freshwater sump. There's a sump set up on TradeMe at the moment that maybe more suitable (No, it's not me but worth a look at)

Oh yeah, I'm on holday with a ton of time to kill :bounce:

That will be a float valve for an automatic top up (ie, you attach it to a relay and a small pump at it automatically keeps the water level at the perfect level. Something you will not need in a freshwater tank, and will be a PITA to sort out (as the rest of it is not there)

very close evil. but you do not need a relay or pump for this sort of auto-topup. it just runs off gravity from memory with the top-up/kalk water in a container feeding down a hose into the float. good call tho.

The maxijet powerhead (far right pump) is also used on seaclone skimmers. good powerhead for testing small DIY protein skimmers too. just a bit of useless info i'd share with ya :lol:

Good on ya Davidb for offering help :hail::D

AW, you were spot on with what the powerheads etc are in that photo.

The one on the right is a maxi jet 100, the middle an Eden 208 (swivels all over the place so must be a wave maker), and the left is a rio which must have clipped onto the top lip of the tank.

The box is a Tunze, I looked it up on the site and am pleased to find all the parts are there. :D

Now just to sort out how the sump works, I don't think all the attachments are there as they don't seem to fit but its possible I'm putting them in the wrong place. :oops:

Then I'll decide if I'm going sump or cannister. Would like to stick with a sump if possible as the tank will look neater.

Its not leaking :D

Most of the white specs have come off everything, still working on a few stubborn ones :-?

It looks great so far and will look better as soon as I put another layer of varnish on the cabinet.

Thankyou to everyone for all your advice and help :hail:

Keep it coming, I'm sure going to need it.