Gravel cleaner? Aqua One or Marina?

jn

HI all, I want to buy another gravel cleaner. I have a Marina one, the mini size, which suited my small tank. But I'm finding the very narrow tube sometimes chokes up with gravel. It also has this gravl guard thing... which sometimes gets stuff stuck in it (but the flow continues anyway which I guess is better then stuff getting stuck right at the tube inlet?!)

The bigger marina ones have oval shaped tubes, the aqua ones have those wide mouths on them... have any of you tried both?

Excellent advice.. I'm all for going with the cheaper one if they're both just as good. They're about the same price for the size I need from petplanet so I thought I'd just check if one was better than the other :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ha :) Yeah.. I know what you mean....but I'd never used the aqua one versions so was just curious.. actually.. I can report back I guess

I bought an aqua one model.. but I think its too big for my tank.. its an absolute right pain in the ass and I actually think its the worst purchase I've ever made. It's actually put me right off water changes! I absolutely dread it now! (my old cleaner is strictly for quarantine use only now!)

Is this because it's aqua one? Or because its too big? I don't know.. But the self starter won't start and the hose kinks where the tube meets the hose. I'm more than a little disappointed... so I'll need to buy a smaller one.. and to be sure.. I'll be going back to a marina brand. :(

When I first started keeping tropical fish i used to use a gravel cleaner every week and had trouble with cycling my tank, my plants wouldn't grow and I lost the occasional fish through bacterial infections. It was suggested that I don't use a gravel cleaner unless you could see a build up of unslightly fish waste on top of the stones and even then only syphon that off. Then instead just do a water change.

Well I've been doing that instead now for 6 months and my plants are growing, I have not had any fish losses related to bacteria and my tank still looks really clean as all the fish waste is breaking down. (and I haven't had to syphon any off the top either)

So if you are fed up, my suggestion is to stop cleaning your gravel for a while and just do a water change. You might be surprised at how easy things become. I was.

I don't mind doing gravel vacs. My smaller one was a breeze.. self started in 2-3 shakes (granted it was VERY small!!) but too small to be practical on my bigger tank and I wanted to be able to have a 'clean one' for a quarantine tank so I don't have to share any equipment or nets if the need arises.

Really don't fancy sucking on the tube thanks. Some of the meds I've had to use over the last few months were not things I wanted to accidentally swallow! I know I could submerge the tube to fill it with water and hold one end as I drop it into the bucket.. but that disturbs the plants :)

I can't see the mechanism in the marina self starter.. but I'm thinking it might be a ball bearing, the aqua one just has a plastic flap which doesn't close fast enough or well enough to stop the water seeping back down the tube...I have to pump like a maniac to get it going! Just hopeless!

I don't get any water in my mouth at all and believe me I wouldn't be doing that way if I did. Providing your bucket is lower than the tank one quick suck and a quick lowering the tube to the bucket should be plenty enough to get it running.

I can't suggest anything with the gravel cleaner as my experience was that I bought three trying to find the right one and probably if I hadn't changed what I was doing a few more.

Good luck. I am sure you will find the right solution for you.

• 1 month later...

I've just purchased a Marina Aquavac that connects onto the taps faucet and siphons water from the tank straight into the sink. The faucet connectors don't fit onto any of our taps though-we don't have screw threads on the taps. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've just purchased a Marina Aquavac that connects onto the taps faucet and siphons water from the tank straight into the sink. The faucet connectors don't fit onto any of our taps though-we don't have screw threads on the taps. Has anyone else had this problem?

Try going to bunnings for and adaptor fitting. And get a metal one if possible.

Yep, I had to go to a hardware store and buy an adaptor as the connector didn't fit any taps either. I disconnected the connector and took it with me too to make sure I got one that fit.

It sure beats filling and emptying jugs of water. The only one I have to do that with is my 10 gallon but that's so small doesn't take much time.

Caper

As it turns out, with my tap I have to unscrew the end that is already on it (which is not threaded on the end, ah...where the water comes out) then put the adaptor directly on the tap but it has thread. But that is why I took the connector which has a "male" end and "female" end, so I could find the one that would work.

Caper

there's another faucet type cleaner that gets sold here, I think the members name is fuglydragon.. (mikefish on TM) he may have tap adapters that fit as he sells the other type of cleaner (brand name eludes me right now!)

Are these ones you guys are talking about , the ones that goes on your tap and you can take tank water out whilst putting fresh water in?

If so, how do you go about dechlorinating the water going in / having it the right temp?

I saw one on trademe and was tempted to get one, as i have to do missions back and forth with full buckets!

Yes, connects right to the tap. Takes the water out, adjust the connector and puts water back in. To add dechlorinator, I just take a small container of tank water, add the dechlorinator to it, then pour in tank and mix it around a bit before a I start adding the fresh water.

Personally I find it's bit of trial and error with the temp :evil: . I don't measure to ensure the temp is the exact temp the tank, but didn't do that when I was using jugs of water either. I feel the faucet, the hose, the vaccuum to try and get a sense if water is getting too hot/cold. I also keep an eye on the thermometer.

A couple of degrees either way in temp shouldn't bother the fish too much anyway.

They definetely make water changes much easier. I have arthritis in my back so it was a real pain (pun intended :o ) lugging the jugs of water and such.

Caper