Transporting my fish by car for 7hrs....

Mrs Frog

Okay folks I need ideas on the best way to transport 30+ fish, by car, for a 7hr journey...7 hours max I reckon. I have groups of fish that can all go into the same bags ie tetras, angels, barbs etc. I can keep the groups together so I'll have 7 bags to transport. Thats assuming that bags are they best and easiest way.

Basically I'm thinking to get some sort of holding box that will hold in heat and put all the bags in the one box?? :-?

All advice very welcomed. Thanks.

Okay folks I need ideas on the best way to transport 30+ fish, by car, for a 7hr journey...7 hours max I reckon. I have groups of fish that can all go into the same bags ie tetras, angels, barbs etc. I can keep the groups together so I'll have 7 bags to transport. Thats assuming that bags are they best and easiest way.

Basically I'm thinking to get some sort of holding box that will hold in heat and put all the bags in the one box?? :-?

All advice very welcomed. Thanks.

For a seven hour journey you won't need oxygen - just half fill the bags and blow them up like a balloon before sealing them with a rubber band. Pack them all together in a strong carton or better still a polystyrene box, and stuff screwed up newspaper in any gaps. Cover with a lid - you want it to be dark so that they sleep. You won't need heating packs (in fact you might have to be careful they don't get too hot in the car). Put them out of the sun (back seat foot well?). Check them when you take a break from driving.

I sometimes use a chillibin to transport fish on the open road - it keeps the little darlings protected from hot and cold. Put them in their bags still, and make sure the bags can't move around. You can belt the chillibin in using seatbelts sometimes too. If you put a thermometer in between the bags you can check the temp if you get worried. I use heat packs if the temp gets too low (actually wheaty bags heated in someone's microwave) and I turn the car air con up.

Not that temp is a big issue in the summer.

Good luck with getting your new fish home.

Sam

As long as the shop knows they are going to be bagged for several hours you should be right. If they know that they should put less fish per bag for you.

We regularly bring fish up from ChCh with no deaths so far (you must drive slow and stop a lot as we do the trip in under 4 hours, inc comfort and food stops). We have brought them from further afield and had them bagged for up to 2 days without problems too for that matter. :wink: