Java Moss

OscarBoy

Java moss and Java fern live in very wet conditions like near a waterfall and I doubt it would be wet enough. Most tropical aquarium plants you buy from the shops have been grown emersed and will survive OK so long as the roots are kept moist. I have a terrarium which is half water and half land for fire bellied newts. Cardamine and hydrocotyle will grow in the water and then onto the land. The biggest problem is getting enough light for the plants. I have 2 x 1ft tubes which supports them plus a miniature fig but it won't grow any Echinodorus I have tried. Trial and error I would think.

I've got some java moss and java fern growing in a 4ft tank about 20cm above the waterline, the only water it gets is the occasional splash from the spraybar, which isn't much. So since I'm the only person to reply to this topic that has actually tried growing these emersed, I say yes it'll work, give it a try.