Polystyrene

blueit7

Sorry for the dumb question but polystyrene under a tank is used to take up any slack from an uneven surface and preventing any potential stress points right?

Could I use one of those pads the have at the warehouse advertised as sleeping pads? They roll up and made from thin spongy stuff. Not very comfortable for sleeping by the looks! :D

I was thinking this might be tider to use than poly. There are little fingers in our house that would love to pick at the poly under the tank!

Currently I have nothing under any of my tanks but have just put my 120 litre back together and want to set it up properly. I'll be moving my other tanks around when I'm ready to fill the bigger one so nows my chance to put something under them.

I have two aqua one tanks that have frames around them so the tank bottom doesn't sit on the stand. These don't need anything under them correct?

polystyrene under a tank is used to take up any slack from an uneven surface and preventing any potential stress points right?

Not quite right I don't think. Warren said how it works once but I can't remember exactly what he said. :roll:

It does give protection between the tank and the hard surface the tank sits upon. The sleeping pads aren't as dense but I have seen people use just towels so I don't see why they wouldn't have some good effect. Better than nothing I guess.

The sleeping mats are just dense foam and will give less protection for your tank than the white stuff. They are actually quite good to sleep on though. However, for a three foot tank, you might be able to use two layers from just one sleeping pad.

My question would be if their foam would be too springy and therefore cause more stress on the joints of your tank?

I have 2 aqua one tanks (380,620) I too figured that with the frame underneath (and what looks like a layer of padding between the frame and the glass) that poylstyrene wasn't necessary.. but to be safe and to protect my wooden furniture since the tanks aren't on 'tank stands' specifically. I used some cardboard.

If you think about it.. the aqua one tank stands wouldn't be designed to have a layer of stuff betwen the tank and the stand I reckon...

Any dense foam or polystyrene will do - closed cell EVA is the best, but it is expensive - what it does is allow the glass to expand, contract, and warp (if you only heat one side, like the inside, glass tries to curve) without causing 'stress risers' - points at which the glass gets adhered to the stand causing an internal stress, which can become a crack - its the same principle as mounting glass in rubber, rather than directly into the aluminium frame.

the main point of those sleeping mats is not "comfort" (soft luxouriousness) anyway, its to get your body off the ground so that you dont lose heat in the night through your sleeping bag and into the ground,(something bloody important that your thankfull for as soon as you dont have one and go on a weeks camping trip! >.<) and they can be comfortable if you dig out a "hip-pit" which is what it sounds like.

as for being used under a tank, i htik it would verymuch depend on the tank and the expense, some of those sleeping rolls may be too soft and just compress to almost nothing.

but again, its up to your own judgement...