Advice for setting up nano cube.

Dixon1990

I want to setup a 25cm cube nano.Mainly for some corals and maybe a shrimp. At the moment the tank im going to use has a betta in it.So i already have the heater and filter. the filter is just a HOB filter- Elite Hush 10-its 310lph. Would this be alright? What else do i need? And do i use seawater or mix a salt with tap water?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have already read that. But i just dont have the money to do one that big atm. Im still in school and dont really have enough income

Marines can’t be done on a budget. It is an expensive hobby and only the fish/corals will suffer due tio cutting corners to suit cheap budgets.

I doubt i could keep a small tank that size looking good so i don’t think you should even attempt it,

Save up for a larger tank.

Small tank will have so much less tolerance to salinity / temperature. Also water quality will be hard to maintain.

Do we really want to encourage Hobbyist to keep fish/coral in such small conditions which is cruel for fish anyway?

We should be grateful that we can get them as the future does not look that great with the reefs being destroyed,

So it is important that we give this creature the best possible conditions to thrive and grow. Not just keep them alive.

I am not totally agaist nano tanks as if you have the correct fish and have experience in keeping a marine tank over many years and understand the water chemistry side then it might be an option, but for beginners i think it is a no go

i have already read that. But i just dont have the money to do one that big atm. Im still in school and dont really have enough income :-? I just thought i would try this as i have seen this done in smaller tanks before.

theres always one out there, do a cube but put a goldfish in it,it will save you money,

setting up a nano could be done to a budget... but as reef has said, it'll be really hard to keep parameters within spec. it has been done before, but only rare cases have been successful.

my advice would be to research everything you would like in it, then start collecting all the running gear now for a massive tank ie. the best skimmer you can get (don't skimp on this one, get one that is rated for a much larger tank), lighting, auto-topoff (not a necessity but highly recommended), powerheads, RODI filter for ASW or a storage container and collection containers for NSW etc.

When you have all the gear it would make a tank upgrade so much easier as if you have gone all out on the gear, most of it can be moved to the new tank.

If you really want to do this nano however, look at getting a decent sized sump tank set-up. it will add to water capacity and make it easier to keep parameters. you will be restricted to what you can keep in it tho, so do alot of research on the inhabitants, and then research a whole lot more.

sounds like alot of work but welcome to marines. :lol:

I've done an aqua one 126 as a marine tank before and it was fine I took the bio balls out and just ran carbon and done weekly water changes of about 8 liters I had zoos, mushrooms and a plate coral plus a fire shrimp and everything was fine but it was in the coolest room of the house.

i have an 8L nano with 5 corals in it, and its fine, 3L weekly or so waterchanges no probs, a few snails to clean up and other random hitchhikers. only problem ive ever had is when a coral tried to spawn went a bit haywire but lots of big water changes and it was sweet. So if your careful and look at temp and salinity etc there not many issues other than maybe light levels needed for some corals. have a chat to john at organism as well he has a few good ideas as well as he also has one of similar size with around 12 frags.

From my experience with an 8litre, it can be done, but it is a huge amount of work with a very limited return - you spend A LOT of time trying to keep the water right, and if you do whatever you have in there will outgrow the cube in a very short time - I decided it just wasn't that much fun.

i have an 8L nano with 5 corals in it, and its fine, 3L weekly or so waterchanges no probs, a few snails to clean up and other random hitchhikers. only problem ive ever had is when a coral tried to spawn went a bit haywire but lots of big water changes and it was sweet. So if your careful and look at temp and salinity etc there not many issues other than maybe light levels needed for some corals. have a chat to john at organism as well he has a few good ideas as well as he also has one of similar size with around 12 frags.

Where did you get the snails from? What lighting are you using? I have had a talk to John, he said it should be alright. Ive got the model up from the filter you are using on yours.