Cleaning tanks, safe levels etc

Mrs Frog

Hi all, how long does it take you all to clean out your tanks, how often do you do it....how do you do it, I brought a Gravel Vac and have no idea how to use the damn thing, I just can't seem to get it to work, I have 4 tanks running and today I'm getting really down about the whole thing as my nitrate levels are too high, so are my nitrite levels...yes my tanks are still cycling, but it seems so neverending at the moment. I'm just griping so bear with me lol...but, any advice on how to clean tanks properly, how often and how would be great thanks.

oh and filters....I have Stingray filters but I'm wondering how good/bad they are?? Any suggestions on good, reasonably priced filters? I'm not the richest of people so go easy on the suggestions please lol :)

Hi Mrs Frog - how often depends upon how many fish are in them, how much you (over) feed etc., so there is a bit of trial and error involved. I vacuum and do large water changes on all of my tanks once a week, which is probably more than I need to. Your Nitrite levels will disappear in a day or two as the good bacteria grow and feed on it, after that, it is just a matter of keeping the Nitrate at safe levels. As a very general rule, I'd say most tanks with an average bioload need about a 25% water change once a week, and vacuuming whenever there is detritus settleing on the bottom. Tanks don't need to be absolutely spotless (in fact some crud can be good), so don't stress too much. If you have driftwood in your tank it may turn the water an amber colour - don't panic, it isn't harmful at all. :D

When you change your water with syphon you have to suck the water up at first to get it going and then it will keep going. Make sure the bucket you are emptying it into is lower that the tank or it will not work. Ignore what it say in books and manuals and do 50% water changes weekly. It helps :D

When you change your water with syphon you have to suck the water up at first to get it going and then it will keep going. Make sure the bucket you are emptying it into is lower that the tank or it will not work. Ignore what it say in books and manuals and do 50% water changes weekly. It helps :D

I'd agree - so long as you are consistent and match the temperature of the new water with the old, the bigger the changes the better.

Another 'cheat' to get a syphon going is to put your finger over the 'out' end, invert the rigid plastic part that goes into the tank (so the opening is facing upwards, and fill it with water. Lift it up to eye level, and take your finger off the other end so that water flows into the hose (watch where you might squirt it). Once the plastic part is nearly empty, block the hose with your finger again to stop it, and put the plastic part back in the tank and let it refill with water (make sure there are no big bubbles trapped inside). Keep it underwater, point it back down at the gravel, take your finger off the hose, and hey presto!

Alot of the new gravel cleaners are 'auto starting' which really just means they have a non-return valve in them I guess... with this type you're supposed to pump them up and down in the water until there's enough water in them for the flow to start.

I find they start faster if you make sure your 'out' side of the hose is as straight as possible with it all going 'downhill' ie: make sure no bit of the hose is 'higher' than the bit before it. You'll get the hang of ie either way :)

in the meantime.. nothing stopping you from using a container to scoop water out of your tanks into a bucket if the water quality is no good!!

You can work on your gravel cleaner technique after the fish are in good water!!

The second time I used the vac I swallowed my small dwarf gourami who was very keen on checking out the vac. He was ok but got stuck in the valve... Also one of my small bottom cleaners has just disappeared. Either buried or sucked out...

It also pays to have more than one bucket at the ready as they can fill quite quickly...

oh.. also with my autostarting one I find it can sometimes get an airlock in it if I just put the vacuum part into the water too 'straight' :o .. dunno why... so I just put it in at a slight angle. I think the do-hickey that makes them autostart sometimes gets stuck!!

lol at the lost fish!! Seriously these gravel vacs annoy me!! Meanwhile hubby comes in and gets it going no problems but I'm the gammy one that has issues with it and he has no idea why LOL. :lol:

So because my tanks are not fully mature yet will that be why my nitrite and nitrate levels are high??

Nitrite is very toxic...and is definitely a sign that your tank is still cycling (not established enough to be able to convert everything into harmless by-products yet). If your nitrite is high your fish can get sick. Keep an eye on it and change some water if you need to.

Nitrates are probably high at the end of a cycle as all the backlog of ammonia and nitrite is finally being fully converted to a more harmless form. Very high nitrates can also be bad for the fish. Nitrates are always going to be present as they are the end result of your fish waste being processed by your filters.

If you have a lot of plants, the nitrates get used up by the plants. With fewer or no plants, the nitrates just keep building up, which is why you need to do regular water changes. Your nitrates will also depend on how many fish you have.. more fish = more nitrates of course :)... so it pays to get a feel for what your nitrates are at and how quickly they build up to help make sure you know in advance, that your water quality could be getting bad.

The best way to avoid that though is to water change every week, or every other week :) Feed very sparingly and don't overstock your tank!

lol at the lost fish!! Seriously these gravel vacs annoy me!! Meanwhile hubby comes in and gets it going no problems but I'm the gammy one that has issues with it and he has no idea why LOL. :lol:

Sounds like the problem is solved then - get hubby to do all water changes while you sit back and relax watching the fish :D

Sounds like the problem is solved then - get hubby to do all water changes while you sit back and relax watching the fish :D

Yeah I'm hoping he will come around to doing that! Maybe I should just keep playing dumb to the gravel vac....although its hard to pull hubby away from his freaky Carnivorous plants for too long so I may have to book him in haha!