BIG tanks, power bills and setup costs.

yarimochi

Hey y'all,

Im just wondering as I start to think about my own big tank what are the running costs of a big tank? The planned tank is 215x75x70 with a capacity of 1128.75L. How much is a glass tank gonna cost me at this size and how much is it gonna cost approximately in power and water?

TIA

P.S On a sidenote, is this tank OK for an asian arowana? thx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial setup is a one-time cost, not sure about the cost of everything in the setup, but I'll be more concerned with the month power bill.

Based on my KW/hr charges. All values are monthly estimates.

Lighting - Assume total of 100W ($7)

Filtration (2X Fluval FX5) - Total 100W ($14)

Heating - 3X 300W Heaters ($100, assuming winter)

Other - Additional 30W ($5)

So total power cost per month $126.

This is a rough estimate, based on the worst case scenario.

Also it is ok for an asian arowana. Cost of water should not be too significant, power is definitely the main concern.

Yeah power is a killer man! I was having massive power bills thought it was the fish tanks sold a heap of fish to keep the wife happy power bill didn't change stuff all.. Realized recently it was the hot water cylinder.. Bugger I sold all my fish!

You can help keep the power bill down by having good fitting lids, lining as many sides and even inside the hood with poly, you could even go as far as to having poly cut and stick it to the sides and front overnight as that would be when it is at its coldest..

Michaels maths is a bit out, although the heater is 'on' all the time, it's only heating when the thermostat is actually switched on. Thats may only be 25% of the time, especially if you have a bigger than minimum heater. That takes his $100 of heater power down to $25 and total bill to around $50.

Realistically the tank may use as much power as a computer or TV set, yes it uses power, but not a HUGE amount.

Also any power you use heating the tank isn't actually wasted, it keeps your room warmer too.

Bottom line is, if you can afford to buy a tank that size, the extra power bill isn't going to break you ;)

Cheers

Ian

You spoiled freshwater guys whine about the electricity costs of your barely lit, only a couple pumps freshwater tanks. Try getting a reef tank! :lol: Last time, and only time, I actually measured the power my reef was using it was about 2.1 KW.

I have a tank of similar size. In summer my heater never comes on and I have to cool the tank from time to time. The tank has 2 x 300W heater. In winter these spend approx 50% of the time on. By insulating the back and sides that aren't seen you can reduce the power requirement even further.

Actually if it's winter time the heater will be on most of the time, if not all.

The heater is heating the water when the light is on right? I certainly noticed with mine heater in winter it's on most of the time, in summer is on about 25% of the time, it is a above minimum heater.

THe only reason it would be on all the time is if the heaters aren't powerful enough to keep the temp at their set point. So, if they normally hold the temp at say 26.0 and it's dropped to 25...Well, then you've got a good idea that the heating required is just above what you have.:)

We don't have huge hydro capacity (we're similar per person compared to other countries but our GWh is low compared to almost any other country). Our total Hydro generation is smaller than 1 nuclear power station. We pay a lot due to the infrastructure to spread a small amount of power over a large area for a small number of people.

Yeah. One moderate sized nuke plant in the south island, maybe somewhere near Christchurch and another near Jafaland. At the moment, iirc about 50% of our power is hydroelectric. Drop the hydro back to about 33% which leaves a lot of capacity for changes in demand because I think hydro can adapt a lot quicker. The two nuke plants powering about 66% but running under maximum capacity to give a lot of room for increasing demand over time. Then any other power sources like wind turbines could be used to lower the demand on the nuke plants.