Dirty Plants

Cheesejawa

I have these rapid growing plants that i got from my friend. In his tank they are a nice light green but in my tank they turn all brown and horrible like theres something growing on them. When a new part of the plant grows it is a light green at first but then it turns that mankey brown. %7Boption%7Dhttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2124/10185440/18306454/288327065.jpg%7Boption%7D

heres a pic (i Hope) can you tell what species of plant this is and how I can stop it from going manky brown

Your friend might have different lights on his tank?

Brown algae likes tanks with less light.

There are also lots of different variables that can affect plant (and algae) growth like the pH and the co2 levels, what gets fed and how often, stocking levels (of both plants and fish), temperature etc... even his substrate and his filter and water flow etc will be creating different conditions than you may have in your tank.

Light would definitely be the biggest factor i'd say. Also does your friend use any fertilisers?

Is your tank newer than his? Sometimes brown algae goes away on its own after a tank gets a little more mature.

What do you mean your friend changes his water with a cup? No gravel vacuuming? That could make a difference too.. maybe his is feeding from the poo collecting in the gravel :)

Is his water flow stronger or weaker?

could be it.. floating plants could be blocking a bit of light.. also I think brown algae may disapear over time. (Mine disappeared after about 6 months when the tank ggot a bit more 'mature')

Be patient I'd say.. it might go away on its own.

Is that an aqua one tank?

You absolutely can buy the black sponges...Here you go.. just choose your tank size...

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm ... id=96&=SID

And here go the noodles you need :)

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm ... d=257&=SID

They also sell replacement lights.. apparently the bulbs lose some of their effectiveness over time even though they still work. They recommend replacing them at 6-12 months. So if you think your light might be old, it might be good to order a replacement one if you're getting stuff shipped anyway ;)

Just pop some stuff into your 'shopping cart' and go to 'checkout' when you're ready. There will be an option for new customers and it will get all the relevant info for you.

The menu you want when you get to the home page is down the left bar - 'Aquatic' and that wil open up all the categories :)