Sagittaria for ponds

kd123

I am in Chch. Does anyone know whether all Sagittaria varieties are banned as pests in NZ. I am wanting to procure a small amount of the brown leaved submersible variety.... I have seen it in a LFS but they didnt have any for sale.

If these are banned plants does anyone have any other suggestions....I would like a floating leaf and white flowers. The pond size is 1200mm diameter. Where to get the plants would be great as well....

I have some waterlilies that I was planning on putting on TM soon.

They will have white flowers (unpotted pieces).

I also have yellow irises and some rushes (the blue'ish type) as marginals and a dwarf type of Arum looking lily that is a marginal plant too which is just sending out some white flowers

PM me if you're interested.

Alternatively, most garden stores now sell pond plants (Oderings and Portstone do anyway) or you can try the Water Garden on Blenheim Rd. for a bigger selection. Redwood aquatics also has a selection available usually but not as much as the former the last time I checked.

The usual Sag (Sagittaria subulata) would grow outside down here but I am not sure if it would survive the winer. The water garden in Blenheim Rd has a bit as well. Do your homework as they all sell stuff as well that will realy only survive up north. John Peters (waterplantz on Trademe) usually has a good selection as well and will advise on what would be best down here.

Is your tadpole pond the 80L one you were talking about on the other thread? what are they made of and what are the dimensions?

The rushes I have are natives (came from the Water Garden store, and they have a reputation for sucking up all the nitrates and I think they're good at keeping the water clean) They get really tall and will eventually form huge clumps if you let them and ...lots of places for little frogs to hide I'd guess... but could be too big for your setup?

I have lysmachia which you can grow in a pond or in a tank. Mine survived in my barrel pond which kept freezing this past winter. You can grow that submersed or at the surface where it will form a bit of a floating mat.

waterplantz on trademe sell packages for cheap that have like 10 kinds of plants in them (suitable for ponds or coldwater tanks) and they all grow in really quickly!