CHEAP hardy fish fot cycling

Slightly Blue Dalmation

Some where between 28-30. I like to keep my Discus tanks high and aim for 30. Most fish from South America will handle high temp for a time but usually shorten their life span but increase the rate they breed at. Usually they say 24-26 but I've had no problem with them higher. The only fish that I've had problems with at this temp is neon's.

and suggestions on CHEAP hardy fish to help cycling?

Using fish to cycle a tank is crude a primitive way, adding a few fish will not produce enough ammonia to do anything.

Best way is to add a little ammonia chloride which will spike the tank and start the cycle as the ammonia will be sky high..

here is some info on cycling

http://www.betterliving.co.nz/content/a ... cling.aspx

And now it all begins..

The inevitable debate regarding fish vs. fishless cycling :)

Just to sum it up before it begins... both methods are reputed to work. Some believe in one.. others believe in the other.

Fishless involves adding stuff to the tank to create a big ammonia spike so the nitrifying bacteria can grow without exposing any fish to the 'toxins', when the ammonia drops, if you've done it right, you supposedly have a full complement of bacteria, and you can fully stock your tank all in one go.

Cycling with fish involves adding only a few fish at a time so the ammonia levels stay very low and the fish shouldn't be harmed. Once the levels stabilise, you slowly add more fish and repeat the waiting and adding fish until you're fully stocked.

Cycling with fish has been done for ages, fishless cycling is a more recent trend. Personally, which ever way you choose, just do you homework, and test your water or keep an eye on your fish for any signs of stress :) !!

Just call me a crude primitive 8)

I understand how cycling works, and it can be done several ways.

A few fish WILL do something, they will encourage a FEW bacteria to grow in the filter. The bacteria will start to multiply as soon as there are traces of ammonia in the water. The trick is to keep the ammonia level below the level thats harmfull to the fish.

Having a filter or some media pre-cycled means you may never even detect the ammonia or nitrite levels, a mini-cycle will of course happen when you add more fish, but if it's only a few then it may not even be detectable. Its going to happen when you add more fish anyway, no matter how you originally cycled the tank.

It's bit like comparing hydroponics to organic vege growing. As long as you do them right, either will give you great veges. But one involves a lot of chemicals and water tests, the other involves a bit of dirt and chicken crap :-? Is one right and the other wrong?

Heck I usually dont even test the water when I set up a new tank. The filter is pre-cycled, only a few fish go in. After a couple of weeks, they are still happy, I can add a few more and go back to my cave and keep rubbing these sticks together.

Cheers

Ian

Heck I usually dont even test the water when I set up a new tank. The filter is pre-cycled, only a few fish go in. After a couple of weeks, they are still happy, I can add a few more and go back to my cave and keep rubbing these sticks together.

Cheers

Ian

Oh yeah, I remember when I first started with fish...

Doing the weekly water tests - more than weekly when we first set them up, just in case... having a mild panic attack if you didn't have time to do the tests... checking the temperature all the time... Fastidiously cleaning the tank and filters, weekly water changes, knowing exactly how many of what fish were in your tanks....

Now... the test kits have hardly been out of the box, only break them out when something goes wrong... don't even bother testing a new tank to see if it is cycling, just chuck some old filter media or seasoned sponge filter in along with the fish... Only do water changes when you think the fish start to act wierdly... couldn't find the thermometer to check the tank temperatures if you wanted to... Only clean the filter when you notice the flow from the filter is getting a bit slow... Only notice a fish is missing when one of the kids asks where it is...

Ps Reef, this is for our freshwater tanks - we are a bit more attentive to our saltwater tank, which is probably why the freshwater ones get a bit neglected!

Oh yeah, I remember when I first started with fish...

Doing the weekly water tests - more than weekly when we first set them up, just in case... having a mild panic attack if you didn't have time to do the tests... checking the temperature all the time... Fastidiously cleaning the tank and filters, weekly water changes, knowing exactly how many of what fish were in your tanks....

Now... the test kits have hardly been out of the box, only break them out when something goes wrong... don't even bother testing a new tank to see if it is cycling, just chuck some old filter media or seasoned sponge filter in along with the fish... Only do water changes when you think the fish start to act wierdly... couldn't find the thermometer to check the tank temperatures if you wanted to... Only clean the filter when you notice the flow from the filter is getting a bit slow... Only notice a fish is missing when one of the kids asks where it is...

LOL. I remember doing that too, and now i havent used a test kit in years, heck, i hardly even cycle tanks anymore. I just chuck the fish in that i want and let them breed. I do daily water changes though :lol:

My finger is the best temperature gauge, and agreed about the filter flow rate 8)