wasp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willis ??? :evil:

from what ive seen some people over skim there tank

Willis... :lol: That was funny. :lol:

I still see no problem with this. I thought that this was GREAT! 8)

If it weren't for the cost of electricity, I would hook up my second 902 to my 500L. I feed my tank heavily and I want to get the nutrients that aren't being consumed OUT!

We don't know what other aspects of this person's husbandry entail. Therefore, I don't think we can make the statement that this is "overskimming"... whatever that means.

Well i've just tested Auckland tap water for phosphate using a Hanna colorimeter, and it comes out with 0.02 mg/l, an incredibly low reading. I don't believe this could be typical so I'll do another one in a few days!

Agree with you Joe Blogg, if your tank is as good as you say the water you are using must be pretty good. Probably as Zhacque said there are different quality water in different areas.

wilson wrote,

alot of people who over skim there tanks. JMO

I doubt many people overskim in nz and have super clean tanks,

what do you class as overskimmed and super clean? got ant pics of them?

the photo you showed is from a tank that has only just had the skimmer put on , so you cant say that tank is over skimmed.

Yes reefs are not super clean but most nutrient gets used up really quick by corals,.

You cant compare a reef with a aquarium full of corals.

WOW!! :o

I ran my TDS meter under the tap this evening and it read 49! :o

I have no idea what that number means, but it appears to be significantly larger than ZERO! Maybe I will be hooking up my RO/DI unit this weekend. I stand corrected. :oops: It appears that ChCh water (at least in my neighborhood) may suck as bad as Aucklands. :cry:

The P04 test still read zero though. Small consolation. :(

Does anyone know where to get parts (water lines, connectors, etc...) for RO/DI units in ChCh?

The good news is that I'm stoked with the way my tank looks now. So, I can't wait to see what happens when I start with the clean water. 8)

TDs of 49 does not mean your water is bad, Just mean that you have minerals etc in the water,

No water is pure as they all will contains some sort of minerals. Rain water has a tds of over 20.

Actually just did a test on my tank with my po4 hanna meter. it was .01. lowest it has ever been. I quess it should be that low after putting in 5 Litres of rowaphos :D

Does anyone know where to get parts (water lines, connectors, etc...) for RO/DI units in ChCh?

Try Water Purifiers in the yellow pages,

I found about 12 places that sell RO units.

I assume the water was contaminated via the rusty

I doubt it, rust removes po4.

Maybe the tests you did was contaiminated as a po4 of 5ppm seems to high. or maybe they added somethingto teh water that month etc.

Not normal for po4 to be that high in tap water.

I would question the test as there would be no reason to add phosphate that I am aware of.

I doubt they would add it, but if a pipe was leaking it is highly likely it could be contaminated with phosphate from the soil, as any average soil will have phosphate in it.

Also, tap water can read zero phosphate when tested with a hobby test kit, but this may well be because hobby test kits are not very sensitive at the lower end and will often show zero when there is phosphate present in low levels.

However I'll have to say i've always been pretty skeptical of the claim that Chch water contains zero phosphate and has a TDS near zero, but after what a lot of you guys have said I'm starting to think there may be something in it. I'm wondering if in certain areas, this may be the case.

Pity I'm not down there I'd love to drive around & do a few TDS tests, plus test phosphate levels with a digital colorimeter.

Also, tap water can read zero phosphate when tested with a hobby test kit, but this may well be because hobby test kits are not very sensitive at the lower end and will often show zero when there is phosphate present in low levels.

IF it is close to zero i would think that it would be ok for soft coral tanks.

However i would be more concerned with other things in the water we cant test for or don’t have the test kits.

Adding additional trace elements from tap water will also

cause problems.

I think for only a few of us who want very colorful SPS and want the little bit extra from our corals would want almost zero phostphates.

keep in mind that aquarium test kits only test one type of po4 as we have organic and inorganic phostphates.

I think the test kits only test for organic po4.

If a leak exists in a water pipe it will be out rather than in. Phosphates are not related to the Governor of California and would have some problems swimming against 60psi. It would be about as likely as an artesian water supply being contaminated. I still suspect the testing method.

I think it was probably localised contamination - there were several mains lying next to each other and the old water supply was lucky to be 6psi - that was the reason they replaced everyone's mains along with the street main (which was broken by a row of huge tress - I live opposite a park). Either way, I'm happy that the phosphate is gone, wherever it was coming from. :D

If a leak exists in a water pipe it will be out rather than in. Phosphates are not related to the Governor of California and would have some problems swimming against 60psi. It would be about as likely as an artesian water supply being contaminated. I still suspect the testing method.

If it was a decent crack, the eddy currents would drag some of the soil in, surely.. But I agree, I don't think there would be enough to seriously affect readings.

However, I'm not a plumber or drainlayer......

How many "bogs" I got? Four.

But why we talking about how many bogs I got?

The pipe you seem to be concerned about is in Christchurch. I am in Auckland.

Point is, I think we get the jist of what you are saying. You think the water could not have been contaminated. Others think it may have been, specially if it had a tree root in it. Hard to prove on way or another though.

I would see this as a pointless argument, and an aside from the larger issue of the quality of Chch water in general.