Breeding Blue Dempseys

Jasmine

Anyone attempting this yet? I'm very tempted to get started on doing this, I love the blues. However, though I've seen blues for sale, I haven't seen normal Dempseys in the pet stores! Where in Auckland usually sells them? And if you're trying to breed too, let me know :)

Hey Jasmine

Both Hollywoods have regular jacks about the two inch mark. Are you going to house them seperately from the blues?

My blues are growing well at around 3 inches( i got the smaller lot which were brought later but relessed first and IMO were better ). Toying with the idea of getting some regulars to grow up but don't want put with blues as it would be silly to lose a $80 fish to a $10 fish, and when the time comes I'm sure I'll find a regular Jack female of breeding size easy enough.

Was however disappointed to see the state of the EBJD's at HFF Mt roskill today. Dark and stressed, too many in one tank, over half with 'popeye' , something they are easily prone too and is as easy to fix. The smaller ones look undernourished and being picked on terribly by the tank leader, one had a strand of silk plant wedged in its mouth. Damm- had to go outside and checked the sign didn't say Animates.

Always annoys me when a shop expects to sell a fish for top $$ and they cant or wont even look after them, especially if its a specialized fish show like hollywoods its not really acceptable in my books!

These are really cool fish, I wish everyone well in their breeding attempts as im not setup to get any at the moment :(

Those are two are certainly on my shortlist Snookie, haven't kept either but seems they would be good choices. Have to keep an eye out for the Chocolates as noyt common( are you breeding them?).

Also thinking Nicaraguans as their Colours would complement the Blues really well.

Torn between putting them in together young and let them grow up or holding off a while and let the blues grow up. Left brain vs right brain.

Selling off Discus to make room this week.

Hadn't thought of rainbows, but they would be lovely. Was going to try something like Cloumbian tetras which I thought might be big enough to handle the cichlids, and bit more Bio -type. Tank already has plenty of wood and flat rocks with some big panaques on bottom. The congos and Discus are going. All comes down to the personality of the cichlids i guess. My EBJD's are relatively docile at this stage

• 2 weeks later...

Doubt any here are big enough to breed with anything yet, need to be 12-14mths from what I've read so I 'd say it'll be another 6 mth before any get to breeding age. I 've put mine into a 4 ft tank and plenty filtration and are growing nicely, mixed diet and some food soaked in garlic extact. As for breeding blue with blue I've yet to find a successful attempt. Spawn and fry but no survivors past wriggler.

There is also a gold dempsey but that isn't as cool IMO.

But I wish we could get the gold convicts, or the Honduran red point variety here. they are amzing looking.

my guys in new home. unfortunately will have to sell at least one as they get bigger. The alpha male is growing much bigger than the other male as is his chosen female.

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

Hi snookie

The Alpha male is just that, the biggest, most red in dorsal and most flared in the dorsal and anal fin , both males more prominent as per cichlid males even at 7-8 cm as per big guy, have actually had him seperated for a month while other male stayed with 2 girls. reunited and big guy has let the tank know the new rules, including his preferred concubine. Ideally would like to have two males for breeding but keen to grow and swap with good male from the other batch brought in.