killies question.

anthony law

What sort of killie do you have?

some breed in mops, others spawn in containers of peat

With the mop spawners you pick the eggs from the mop and store in water or peat, in water they hatch after around 12 days (does vary on specie) and if you store on peat you can hatch them when you are ready for them.

With peat spawners, (from what i have been told, i havnt had any peat spawners before)generally you place a container of peat in the tank, such as margerine container with hole cut in the lid, after a couple days you remove the peat and store in an air tight bag at around 22-24 degrees, after around 3 months you "flood" the peat in a chinese food container and the eggs hatch within a few hours.

thats basically how it works

Anthony

Killis like all sorts of other fish live for a veration of months/years

there is a misconception that Killis live for only a year or less and whereas in some types, this may be true but with others they can live for years

At least half of the Killis here in NZ are mop spawners and you will even get fry from them in a heavily planted tank.

Peat spawners are spawned by putting a pot like a marg. container half filled with peat into their tank and after a week or 2 removing the pat, drying it (not completely) and storing for anything from 2 months to 12 months. They are the easiest as you get to choose exactly when you want fry.

The mop spawners eggs can be also stored on top of peat and they too will not hatch untill you decide... within reason.

If your ever in Auckland feel free to contact me and I will show you what I do

can you put killies in with dicus . the tank full planted tank the size is 1500*540w 700h running at 26 .temp.ph 7 to 6.8. being running for two years. i guess im interresed in all types of fish i like to kown how they work etc .

i like the king killie at the show. are they easy to optain cheers ant

cheers barrie i will give you a call when im back up in auckland.

and thank you it gives me a better understanding of the little fish.

ok i cant put them with my dicsus.what temp are they can handel.

so if you got peat spawners why cant you make a tank tidal is that possbel so you had a shallow end with a depth end.

one end of a tank has a shelf where the peat is shoon as they spawn drop the water level.will that work or not.iv got a turtel tank 1200*600*600 spare with a shelf in it .

also do the eggs need that time out of the water to inkerbate or not ///

cheers ant

so if you set up the turel tank with plants in the water part and your killies in there rise the water to the top of the tank so the shelf is cover with water so they can lay there eggs drop the water down agian you dont have to remove the eggs as the tank temp shoud be fine .so you can leve the fish in there to it will be the same as a terrerrium.or do you need a hotter temp to incubate the eggs?