2 fish have died now 1 acting strange

sub.z

I have had 2 fish die unexpectedly in the last week. They had no symptoms, just woke up and they had passed. This one is now acting odd by just floating about, gasping alot and doesnt seem in control of his body. Hes just started this today. Most of the time hes floating too. All other fish are fine. Tank is 400 litres and has been up and running for about 4 months. Currently doing a 50 % water change and have increased airation. Do water changes every 4 weeks of about 40 %

The tank has developed alot of brown algae in the past month or so, would this affect the fish?

I noticed that the bubble wall wasnt on yesterday and it was on low so dont know how long it could have been off for :oops: would that affect fish?

Took a quick vid of him. Will post vid in a sec. Excuse the mess at my desk :lol:

Please help!

Water changes every 4 weeks? Sounds a bit long to me.. Have you measured your water conditions ammonia nitrates nitrites all that stuff? Maybe something built up to a dangerous level and affected the fish that have died? What fish are they? Are they all the same type? Gasping at the surface could be oxygen related has there been any improvement since restarting the aeration and doing the water change? I cant see the vid im on dial up and wont even bother lol

Ryan I had a look at the video but don't know anything about goldfish.

Mostly drifting as the current moves it with a few feeble wiggles to try to stop it hitting things and at the top of the tank just hanging there head down and bobbing with the current as well. If it stops wiggling at the bottom it just bobs to the top of the tank. The other fish are taking a poke at it too. Could it be swim bladder?

Breeds are ryunkins, orandas and a few other random ones. Ive had 1 black moor die, and a lionhead. The one in the vid is a google eye fantail. Im hoping that the incease in bubbles and water change is going to prevent any others getting sick. I thought the water changes would be fine as theres only 6 small-reg fish (now) in 400 litres

Sorry to hear about your loss.... sub.z...

Know how you feel I lost 2 of my fantails .... same sort of thing

I had "perfect" water conditions.... at least no readings....

I've now rehome my last 3 to a pond.....doing well so far....

Questions:

warmth of water?......does tank get alot of sun.....Mine was getting abit to warm......

Is filter working properly......

how much do you feed?? - (this was part of my problem)

Plants in tank? - found this helps....

read somewhere (after my goldy had died) that a bath in espom salts helps..... can't remember where I read it though.... will try to find out for you just incase in the future....

I now know one of my fans died because he was overeating....little pig he was .... (eat all the others food) he wouldn't eat peas either....

Espom salts is met to do the same sort of thing as peas....

All the best hope this helps....I know lossing them is no fun....

rest in peace.... Goldy, and two nameless fish...

Sorry to hear about your loss.... sub.z...

Know how you feel I lost 2 of my fantails .... same sort of thing

I had "perfect" water conditions.... at least no readings....

I've now rehome my last 3 to a pond.....doing well so far....

Questions:

warmth of water?......does tank get alot of sun.....Mine was getting abit to warm......

Is filter working properly......

how much do you feed?? - (this was part of my problem)

Plants in tank? - found this helps....

read somewhere (after my goldy had died) that a bath in espom salts helps..... can't remember where I read it though.... will try to find out for you just incase in the future....

I now know one of my fans died because he was overeating....little pig he was .... (eat all the others food) he wouldn't eat peas either....

Espom salts is met to do the same sort of thing as peas....

All the best hope this helps....I know lossing them is no fun....

rest in peace.... Goldy, and two nameless fish...

My tank has a heater set at 22 degrees. Not in direct sunlight either. Feeding the same as i always have, and i dont think i give alot. Less is more i tend to think. And the ones that died were all in the middle for size, ive got some smaller and some bigger. Its a bit of a bugger cos i hate loosing them especially 3 in 1 week but hope the rest stay ok. Thanks newfish :hail: Might have to have a road trip to Chch

Those fancy goldfish are prone to digestive problems. Try the Epsom salts suggestion. If they usually have a bubble wall going and it is turned off, that may affect them but I would expect all to be gasping, not just one. Any possibility he has swallowed a stone and it is stuck? Goldfish are good at that too. :roll:

Get the water tested if you can. It would help to know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels so we can discount water quality.