what types of fish to steer clear of??

BnB

a tough question

depends on the type of fish tank you want and the type of fish you want.

you can't just come up with a list of fish that die easily.

Though some fish are more delicate and intolerant of poor water conditions than others, therefore poor water quality they would die more easier than some species of more hardy fish, e.g. discus, blue ram

Its all random depends on if a bad lot is imported, the conditions in the pet shop, how your tank is your maintenace etc.. I think most people have one fish they just cant keep, I cant seem to keep paradise fish or blue rams alive blue rams seem fairly hard to keep alive alot of people have trouble with them.

mine literally exploded, its those blue/orange ones, i dont even know what happened, woke up in the morning and its insides all round the tank. oh, and my heater broke for an evening, and all my neons died, all 20 something of them $$$$$$$$ only batch ive ever kept, so in my opinion, they arnt very long lived

I think it depends sometimes on the quality of water in the shops tanks, and how quarantine went as well for imports.

Different fish are susceptible to different things, imported guppies can carry disease that they are immune to but if you put them in a tank with locally bred guppies, the locally bred ones may die. Dwarf gourami seem to have problems. Clown loaches get white spot easily.

Imported fighters tend to be a reasonable age when we get them here.

Some fish simply live longer than others.

The list goes on..

Well i like the look of hatchets was thinking of getting a few of them. but then i saw the price probably get some if i can find them cheaper. Wouldnt mind guppies and wouldn't mind a bigger fish. i used to have Angels but man they grew and bred and were quite bossy buggers used to feed them and they come up and suck onto your finger. So will these fish go well together i havent even done any research on if they even can be in the same type of water. At the moment i have the neon and lampeye tetra's and 2 albino catfish and a bristlenose plec

I think it is different for everyone...

I have had no end of trouble with my tank, i.e had huge ammonia spikes, intestinal worms and some other un-diagnosed problems yet the dwarf gouramis have survived the lot!

I am now on my 2nd pair of rams, the first lot were given pristine water conditions and were fussed over constantly but died regardless while the latest pair have be put into a 'mostly' cycled tank, survived a heater breaking which partially cooked them, then froze them, resulting in a white spot breakout. Yet they have now coloured up to breed, who knows???

Neons can be short lived and contract white spot in poor water conditions but they are fairly cheap to replace if one or two die.

Its all about trying them for yourself.

(p.s I can't keep platties alive... a so called beginners fish..)

TBH, i'm highly sceptical of why dwarf gourami are allowed into the country. If MAF/ERMA are so worried about fish diseases, why do they allow the importing of these fish.

For information on dwarf gourami and disease carriers, please see http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1139 .. Infact, just do a google search for "dwarf gourami disease"

personally for age i look for the smallest of a specimen as generally youngest and be careful when chosing a fish that it looks healthy etc do a bit of research and most info sites give a rough estimate of how long they can live for. The likes of hatchets have a long expected life if in good conditions so the price can be warranted, ie buy one fish rather than replacing lots of cheaper ones in the same time.

Go into organism and have a chat with john he can be quite helpful and has good fish Cnr Ilam and Clyde.

Sorry bout the rant hope it helps

The bigger the fish the longer it should live - in theory assuming conditions are good.

Some killi species are short lived.

A lot also depends on the age of the fish when you buy it. Often no way to tell how old it is when you purchase.

Some fish are territorial and you should never have more than one in a tank. Other fish will eat the rest and yet others will wipe out your plants. You need to research, or ask here if a specific fish catches your eye.

As to prices, livebearers and usually cheaper as they are easy to reproduce. The harder the fish is to breed, the dearer the price.

PS. We were known as the guppy killers in our club as we could never keep them alive. Gave up on them years ago :lol:

PS. We were known as the guppy killers in our club as we could never keep them alive. Gave up on them years ago

Whats your secret??

I have to work to STOP them taking over the place :roll:

Guppys can be a bit delicate, the fancy ones are usually inbred or line bred to fix certain genetic traits, but that breeds a lot of the native hardyness out of them. I have a few dead ones turn up in the tank ocasionally. But from the 12 I was originally given I have given away about 100 and probably have 200 left. If I need more I can just take the population control kribensis out of the tank for a week :-?

Neons seem to the same, they are a bit delicate and dont live that long anyway. Any problem with the tank and they are the first to float :roll:

Touch wood I haven't lost any plecos, they are hardy and long lived, just they grow so darn big :o

So yes, some fish are more delicate that others. I also suspect local water conditions may have a big impact on what fish people have the most luck with. Different combinations or Ph and dissolved chemicals that suit some fish more than others? Could explain why some people are just jinxed with some fish, but have great luck with others?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for all the feedback guys, want wanting dwarf gourami's so that settles that one. just got me a siamese fighting fish he's quite cool but hard to get a decent pic of him he's a reddy blue one i named rex. only cause my partner names all hers and mine so got in first