Lazy Goldfish????

Dancer17

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I think my goldfish are getting lazy.

They seem to by lying on the bottom of the tank all day. When you walk up to the tank they start swimming again like they are fine and want to come and say hello.

They have been doing it for a little while now. they are feeding fine and theres nothing wrong with water. done water changes and still they just lie there.

They are pretty big and have large tails so I wondered if they were just getting old and heavy. I have had them for 4 years and in that time they have grown huge compared to thier original size.

How big and what size is the tank? How warm is it?

They are certainly not old (assuming you bought them as young fry) as they can live 40+ years.

Yea I didnt think they were old. Big one is about 20cm other one about 10cm. Im thinking maybe they are just geting too big for the tank even though they do swim around and seem to have enough space.

They were bout from a pet shop about 4-5cm long

You didn't say how big your tank is. :)

Sorry I think its a 120L. I forgot how many Litres.it is.

I have just purchased another female as I lost the female I had and was just left with two males.

Since I have added the female they seem to have been better. maybe they were just grieving???

Yeah that does sound too small - especially if they're comets.

Also, sometimes goldfish do that when they're cold - I'd check the temperature. (The cold won't hurt them but they try to conserve energy by slowing down.)

When you say there's nothing wrong with the water, have you tested it? Things like raised ammonia and nitrite levels can cause bottom sitting too.

Has the current in your tank changed recently? Fancy goldfish don't like a strong current, and can bottom-sit to avoid the 'treadmill'.