Beginner questions about Killies

Dancer17

Hi everyone

Just a few questions on Killifish as I was inspired by the killifish stand at the national show.

I cant seem to find any info. Can they go in the same tank with each other?

Also what size tank is recommemded and what is required eg, lights, heaters etc?

Thanks

if you join the nzka you will get as much killiefish info as you can handle.

If you want to breed killies of course you must keep the species seperate as certain soecies can interbreed, causeing infertile and deformed etc fry.

I have kept several species of killie in the same tank however i have not collected any eggs, and made sure the females of the species were easily identifyable as almost all killie females are very boring in color and many different species of female look alike.

I have almost all my killies in 300x200x200 tanks, blacken the back of tank and have a bit of floating plant, i use sand on bottom of tank with only an airstone and no filter.

Be careful killies are very addictive, i started off with 2 tanks...i now have 15, almost all dedicated to killies.

haha thanks for the info. this whole fish thing is addictive. We had two tank but now have 4 with another three on the way.

I have just joined the killiefish club so very keen to get some info.

Just thought i would put the questions out there and get other peoples advice from experience.

from what i have been told, as well as experienced killies generally like low lighting, during the day in bright lights my killies used to hide and generally do nothing, all my killie tanks are in a cupboard that i designed myself and is fairly dark, the fish love it, are always active...well basically always doing "it".

temperature is quite low really, around 22 degrees is generally the best, although everyone has their own opinions, mine fluctuates 21-24 depending on the day.

My killies live on flake food, sometimes they get a bit of microworm, although im not sure how much of it they eat, as with any fish live food is best.

breeding them is very easy, im having more luck with the killies than even my guppies, just requires a little bit of effort

I have a community tank in the lounge and 42 tanks that I breed in.

The tank in the lounge houses spare males but normally no more than 2 of any 1 type. Breeding must be done seperatly as Paul has said although fry can be mixed if the females look totally different ie Dageti and Australi

If you want to breed killies of course you must keep the species seperate as certain soecies can interbreed, causeing infertile and deformed etc fry.

I have never heard that interbreeding is causing the fry to be infertile or deformed. In fact they are usually very happy chappies - just not what their parents were. And since we try to keep pure strains in NZ it is advisable not to have two closely related groups in the same tank. Ever heard of "hybrid vigour"?

NZKA advises that newbies to killies keep their different species of killies in seperate tanks so that it stops any hybrid varieties of killies getting into the general public.

Also it takes a little time to find out what killies you can mix.

a good rule of thumb is only mix males together as they look different.

However there are exceptions to the rules.ie P82 and Blue Gardneri

Since you have joined the NZKA we will provide you with as much beginners information as we can... also keep posting your questions here as well as their are many others that can help.