What's your favourite coral?

tHEcONCH

u CHCH boys will be happy if i move down next year :D tanks coming with me

:bounce:

yea i know who took the xenia Sapphire

:lol:

i think i know most of the reefers from christchurch on this forum 8)

some of you will have to come to Totally Tanked some time

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh i'm always keen on anything thats being chucked out, i'm not adverse to dumpster diving in someones bin :lol:

i got some xenia shipped to me from cookie extreme (prior to his tank crash :( ) and it shipped really well, and i had no problems..

ahh yes sun corals... yes once my tanks past its ugo diatom/cyano/aiptasia problem you will be mine!

got some xenia shipped to me from cookie extreme (prior to his tank crash ) and it shipped really well, and i had no problems.

did i ship those "dry" by any chance? survival seems a lot better in regards to shipping xenia if no water at all is in the bag due to the fact that they release so much crap they poison themself in the bag. done that quite often in the past (sometimes send one wet and one dry) and had a much better feed back when shipped dry.

Wilson I will be at the next meeting - had family turn up or I would have been at the last one....

:D

can't wait to get in and see what's in the new shipment.... we were away at the weekend in Arthur's Pass so no shopping! Although tank is still very new so will have to take it slowly.

Anyway if I have anything that gets to the point I can frag/propagate it I'm happy to share... Now I just have to learn how to it - which of course comes after keeping everything happy and thriving!

:oops: (Just hope it's as easy as plants!). Having a ball though - I love my tank - now the tv has become obsolete... if only I could figure out how to make work go that way too, without losing the pay cheque.....!!!

Hows the rebuild going

coming along great. 8)

i did get the coral shipment at 9.30AM and have them in the tank by around 10.30am so that probably helped as well

thats still over 18 hours from the moment i packed them. in some cases the water was really cloudy in others crystal clear. read on one of the american websites about dry shipping them and it worked great.

i think the dry shipping works simply cos they don't get bashed around. When i've sent xenia in the mail if it's on a rock I've rubber banded a short bit of tube over the xenia to protect it from knocks, i also shrink the xenia prior to bagging so it can't slime up the bag. Long as that's been done they have arrived primo condition every time, even one time it got lost in the post & took 4 days!

I guess that kind of depends upon what you are in to - I personally love Sun Corals, but they aren't necessary the best looking or easiest coral. That blue and red Caulastrea type thing in your thread would definitely get my vote though - that is awesome.

p.s. would love to buy it (via a retailer) if its for sale.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/35-vt3 ... ?start=510 (just above the Mushroom)

In one of my threads it shows a pic of it when it was pure brown, that is how it arrived from the exporter.

Critters in CHCH also got one that was brown, not sure how it turned out.

Funny how the amazing coral don’t arrive that way. That is way any coral could potentially be amazing if looked after. Like a box of chocolates , you never know what you are going to get. Thats what makes the hobby fun.:D

purple bonsai acro

I have one but still to small to frag.

Started as a 5mm spot on a rock, noe 4 cm,s

Nice save batman.. :lol: :lol:

Nice one thumbsup-1.gif.

Some of my favourites are not the best looking, but ones I've grown over years from some tiny barely there bit of life. Just the joy of first actually keeping it alive, and later watching it develop, is a buzz.

Nice one thumbsup-1.gif.

Some of my favourites are not the best looking, but ones I've grown over years from some tiny barely there bit of life. Just the joy of first actually keeping it alive, and later watching it develop, is a buzz.

Yes i have the standard purple Acropora nana, I'm looking for the Purple with green polyps- best looking coral in the world IMO

1st off I'd like to say thank you for starting this thread! :) I am enjoying looking at all your fabulous corals.

Great timing, because I actually logged on to see what types/colours of tubeastrea might be available in NZ!

So far, my favourite would have to be tubastrea, as it was my 1st and I still only have very few corals.... (brown buttons multiplying madly, the suncoral, a single candycane and a couple of diff coloured mushrooms and their teensy babies) I will have to wait till my seahorses live out their days until I can think of converting the tank for more variety of corals.

I just have an orange/yellow tubeastrea. I have found it easy, growing from 5 polyps to 2 dozen+ quite quickly. Is the black more difficult??

Does anyone here have the Emerald coloured one? I would Love to get a teensy frag, even if it is 1 mere polyp!!

Meanwhile I am eyeing up which other ones might also be SH safe/ non stinging/nontoxic ....

Ohhh, that purple bonsai is absolutely gorgeous!!! *fingers crossed that it might be SH safe.... :D

1st off I'd like to say thank you for starting this thread! :) I am enjoying looking at all your fabulous corals.

Great timing, because I actually logged on to see what types/colours of tubeastrea might be available in NZ!

So far, my favourite would have to be tubastrea, as it was my 1st and I still only have very few corals.... (brown buttons multiplying madly, the suncoral, a single candycane and a couple of diff coloured mushrooms and their teensy babies) I will have to wait till my seahorses live out their days until I can think of converting the tank for more variety of corals.

I just have an orange/yellow tubeastrea. I have found it easy, growing from 5 polyps to 2 dozen+ quite quickly. Is the black more difficult??

Does anyone here have the Emerald coloured one? I would Love to get a teensy frag, even if it is 1 mere polyp!!

Meanwhile I am eyeing up which other ones might also be SH safe/ non stinging/nontoxic ....

Ohhh, that purple bonsai is absolutely gorgeous!!! *fingers crossed that it might be SH safe.... :D

Check this thread - I have at least 4 different kinds - 'Black' - T. Micrantha, 'Really Black' T. Diaphana, 'Orange' - T. Faulkneri, 'Yellow Figi' -T.?, plus anoth 'Orange' that has candycane-like stripes on the oral disc.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/here-vp264345.html The black definitely requires more flow and more regular feeding.