first spawning

Interfecus

I've just had my first spawning of siamese fighters :D . After trying for over a year with traps and everything I finally managed by simply chucking some plants and a small heater into a bare 20L aquarium yeaterday evening. I also added half a polystyrene cup but the male ignored it so I won't bother next time. I only bought the female a week ago but she was in condition, showed all the signs of readiness when I introduced them, and I came back from uni early this afternoon to find them spawning :) . With a more docile female and a gentle male neither got hurt and it was easy!

The eggs seem to have hatched, I could see little tails hanging down from the nest this morning. Unfortunately, he's moved the bubblenest again for about the fifth time and I can't see the bottom of it any more. I should see when they're free swimming though :) .

The one defending the nest and spitting bubbles is the male

He's also the fish that is beating the snot out of the other one

The female is the dead one in the floating plants with all her fins ripped off,

that is if you haven't removed her.

Alan

ps, the male is the one with the long fins and the female is the one that laid the eggs.

Just in case you weren't sure. :roll:

Al

chris.

The fry begin to develop longer fins and an attitude if they are male. However only one male will be dominant so if you leave all the fry together then there is minimal fighting (othr than pecking order) If you remove the dominant male then another male will step up to the responsibility and develop longer fins etc.

All the fry are seperated by serious breeders quickly (from memory 4-6 weeks of age) and placed in seperate containers in order to allow fins to develop with no damage from "pecking order nipping". This prevents any scarring and leaves the keeper with "show quality fish" (provided the breeding stock is appropriate)

Hope this helps