Raising Gh and KH

kiwiplymouth

My water supply has a Gh of 5 dGh and Kh of 3 dKh.

I want to increase these levels to improve my buffering without using chemicals.

I was thinking if using either marble chips, limestone or shell grit.

Is any one of these products better than the other and should i add it to the tank or to the filter. Cheers

Thanks Andrew129, I have just completed a 50% water change. ph is now 7.4 I have plenty of wood in the tank. I was wondering that as this is a relatively new tank and the nitrates are still low i.e approx 5ppm if this can cause ph spikes. I was still hoping that there was a way to increase my tanks buffering capabilities without chemicals. Is ph 7.0 lock a natural product?

The pH of tap water changes once it's in the tank, as gasses like chlorine etc evaporate. Your buffer levels seem fine to me (kH and gH).

Raising the buffer level (KH) also raises the pH.

If your pH is 8, and the kH was at the level mentioned above, I'd suspect something has 'poisioned' the tank OR check your test kit, sometimes if the tubes aren't completely clean the previous test chemicals make a huge effect on the water.

If your pH is 8 and kH/gH is also higher, then something is buffering the water up (like shells etc).