Why is it so hard to get hold of good Coral?

tHEcONCH

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I can't speak for others, but when I go looking at corals, colour is a big thing. Zoos are something I'm quite keen on getting a bit of variety of, but theres only so many shades of brown that you can have in a tank before it gets boring. I'm not very good when it comes to names of corals so I can't really say whats missing because I dont know what its called.

The other thing I'm finding (and i'm sure others are aswel) is that the frequency between coral shipments is way too long. I'm not sure where the issue of that lies, but sometimes its months between shipments (this is also the case with the fish)

Its hard when money burns a hole in ones pocket and theres nothing to spend it on :(

i agree it is often a long time between coral shipments

Then buy all the stock so more can come in :D

I can't speak for others, but when I go looking at corals, colour is a big thing.

Is it really that important? having a nice healthy coral and nice shape is just as nice as a colourful coral.

There is only so much colour you can get and most of those are hard coral.

I have had ever colour you can think of and it also gets boring. The leathers to me seem also very interesting.

There are many nice soft corals that are brown but very interesting.

give the money to the poor student :)

i agree it is often a long time between coral shipments

and i also agree about the zoas there great corals but most ive seen for sale are brown

To me it is understandable why there is a lag between shipments.

Exporters have limits on what the can export.

The importer brings in stock, it has to go in quarantine for a set period of time.

The stock the is onsold to the shops and they are limited by what they can hold.

They then have them sitting in the tanks until all of us keen as beans people buy them.

The shops wouldn't be hounding the importer until most of their stock is sold, then the importer wouldn't be hounding the exporter until most of the shops start hounding them.

The exporter can't supply the importer unless they have quota left.

Hence the lag IMO

On the zoas front, one of the colonies I got from Wonderworlds last month is changing from having outer brown frills/fronds(?) to a green matching the centre, and another colony has the centre taking on a skin/nipple pink look.

• 3 months later...